Oil Fired Stanley Range Hot Water Issue

Options

Hi,

I have an oil fired stanley range and am used to using it for the hot water,heating and cooking now. However, now it is summer and the heating is turnedoff I need to heat up the oven manually, which is fine. The problem is, thismakes the hot water scalding hot for when we use the shower. Does anyone knowof a way to stop this from happening. The hot water temperature is usually fineuntil we need to use the oven. I am directing the baffles correctly into theoven and turn it back when I am finished with it. Please help :)Thanks

Comments

• thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the same problem with an aga.

You need to fit a thermostatic mixing valve to the hot water outlet from the hot water tank.

However, the water may be so hot it's outside the acceptable range, and so it may still not work.

Competent DIY job
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although I had a Stanley for 10 years until I moved a couple of months ago I never used it for cooking so in the summer it was simply turned off and I used the immersion heater for hot water (and the shower was electrically heated anyway).

I'm assuming this is your first summer with it (otherwise you would have had the problem in previous years), have you had it serviced yet? Sounds like thenudeone may have the answer, but if an engineer hasn't looked at it it may be worth getting it done now (I always found it easier to get one to come at the booked time during the summer anyway) and ask his opinion.
  • Kazzalondors
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Yes, we get it serviced every year in October. We had a summer with it last year and I don't recall it happening then. I may have to have a word with my engineer.
    Thanks again :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport