114 Posts
    I've recently signed up for this, hope I don't get any issues
    -X-Missima-X-
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would appear to be the OP's error.

However, what I fail to understand is why, on the strength of their one failed transaction, the OP takes the trouble to join MSE and offer advice that we all should avoid using the best value credit card available.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    modusman wrote: »
    No I didnt make any incorrect assumptions.Everything was set up in a branch of Santander and was told so in writing by a senior member of staff. Why would I assume anything?Hence my suggestion that their CC side isnt too good. As for the phone calls, when you have confirmation all is in order would you lot be happy with 3 calls a day????hmm ..Never mind I wont bother posting again, better things to do with my time
    You were told in writing?
    The only writing I need is when it states the fact on my monthly statement.
  • planteriaplanteria Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...and at that point the Direct Debit is in place and you are safe in the knowledge that payment will be taken on time every month.
  • AnthornAnthorn Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add to the foregoing: The OP ignored a call from their bank. Nuff said.
  • 00ec2500ec25
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    a classic case of someone not understanding what they are doing and instead blaming others for their own incompetence

like a poster above, every credit card I have ever had always warns that the first statement payment will (may) not be taken by DD (they do not collect using an SO) and that you should pay this by other means (cheque, bank transfer etc) until such time as your CC statement categorically states the date on which payment will be taken by DD

so OP:
    - you failed to read what was given to you when you opened the account
    - you failed to read your first statement
    - you ignored repeated phone calls (wonder what your reaction would be had those calls been to report that they had detected unusual movements on your a/c aka fraud and were calling to confirm them?)

and yet miraculously it is "Santander's fault"
  • msallenmsallen Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Another two post wonder who won't be back because his/her misconceptions weren't confirmed. All that's missing is "SCAM" in the title.
  • icic Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a santander zero card for years now - had no trouble whatsoever.
  • Grade_A_RejectGrade_A_Reject Forumite
    803 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem I have ever had with Santander was when I moved the DD for my 123 credit card from one 123 current account to my second 123 account.

I changed the DD instruction online and assumed all would be fine as the DD, if not setup on time, would have been taken from the original account. I must have hit a timing window and the DD wasn't taken from either.

A quick secure message to Santander and they refunded the late payment charge, credited the interest charges incurred and gave me a £20 ex-gratia payment for my "inconvenience". Faultless service!
    "A nation of plenty so concerned with gain" - Isley Brothers - Harvest for the World
  • EdwardS033EdwardS033 Forumite
    108 Posts
    Anyone who reads the financial press can tell you that Santander is consistently voted the worst bank for customer service and this is a typical example
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals