We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

taken to court over ebay purchase

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The complainant against me, yes, the chap that brought these proceedings did not defend.

I don't see how I can maker it any clearer

I think you mean the complainant did not turn up/appear/present/whatever. They're not defending, you are. Hence defendant and complainant.

What about the other question? About the payment from your insurers? Was it made to you or to the complainant?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    The complainant against me, yes, the chap that brought these proceedings did not defend.

I don't see how I can maker it any clearer

It's as clear as mud to be honest. Reading your sig. perhaps explains why.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    gik wrote: »
    It's as clear as mud to be honest. Reading your sig. perhaps explains why.
    I agree, basically from what I can understand is the op got their insurance to got the cost of defending the case and the person that took the case to court didn't defend so the op won and the insurance still lost money
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, basically from what I can understand is the op got their insurance to got the cost of defending the case and the person that took the case to court didn't defend so the op won and the insurance still lost money

Lost me again, how can the person who took the case to court defend? The only person they could defend against is themself.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bantex wrote: »
    Lost me again, how can the person who took the case to court defend? The only person they could defend against is themself.

I think they're saying the OP got the insurance money for the case (to pay the claim, not to defend, according to the OP's posts), but the OP still issued a defence/counterclaim, which went uncontested by the original 'fraudster', who didn't show up and "defend" the counterclaim.

So the OP won in court, because of a no-show by the original claimant/'fraudster' person, yet still has the money from the insurance which was paid to settle the case??
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    I think they're saying the OP got the insurance money for the case (to pay the claim, not to defend, according to the OP's posts), but the OP still issued a defence/counterclaim, which went uncontested by the original 'fraudster', who didn't show up and "defend" the counterclaim.

So the OP won in court, because of a no-show by the original claimant/'fraudster' person, yet still has the money from the insurance which was paid to settle the case??

I read it that the insurance co. wouldn't take it on as they thought they couldn't win the case? Confusion.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gik wrote: »
    I read it that the insurance co. wouldn't take it on as they thought they couldn't win the case? Confusion.

I read it that the insurance company wouldn't take on the case because it wasn't economical to do so.
    In other words, the case was winnable, but would cost more to win than just paying up and effectively 'losing'.

So the ebay seller won... the insurance company paid him.
    Did a court hearing even take place?
  • stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    I can't follow what has gone on either.

There is, however, good reason for the very old maxim "A lawyer who acts for himself has a fool for a client".
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After reading the thread, I get it and applaud you Cyclonebri1.
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport