Best Investment magazines?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
17 replies 18.9K views
bigfreddielbigfreddiel
4.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
Which is the most useful investment magazine, in particular performance tables for unit trusts etc.

Money Observer seems good to me - what do you think?

Investors Chronicle I never have time to read before the next issue is out, and the same goes for The Share magazine.

fj

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i doubt any of them can match the data available online. Past performance is so overated and leads to many poor decisions. Just ask anyone with Fidelity European ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • RayWolfeRayWolfe Forumite
    3K Posts
    The Observer Mag is one of the best but .... as dunstonh says, online data is much better and is up-to-date. Most of these magazines are vehicles for advertisers and they just recycle information from other sources and repeat articles round-and-round. Try Citywire and the FT for current information.
  • Geoffo_MGeoffo_M Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    dunstonh wrote: »
    i doubt any of them can match the data available online. Past performance is so overated and leads to many poor decisions. Just ask anyone with Fidelity European ;)

Thanks dunstonh, I hold some Fidelity European - not for much longer though!
    107.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Geoffo, look at the Fid European performance in a shorter period. Anything upto 2 years. Look at 3 months to get current trend and you will find that in those periods its mostly bottom quartile. It ties in loosely with the fund manager change (about 1 year difference. It would take a while on a large fund for changes to factor in. A bit like trying to stop an oil tanker).

5 year performance shows it still at the top as it is there based on performance of a different fund manager and 3-5 years ago and not the last 2 years under the current fund manager.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bigfreddielbigfreddiel
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for those replies, I agree the web has wealth of info - too much sometimes!

And I agree about the adverst in magazines and adverts - but they are handy to read while watching TV etc.

Cheers

fj
  • JDinhoJDinho Forumite
    111 Posts
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Geoffo, look at the Fid European performance in a shorter period. Anything upto 2 years. Look at 3 months to get current trend and you will find that in those periods its mostly bottom quartile. It ties in loosely with the fund manager change (about 1 year difference. It would take a while on a large fund for changes to factor in. A bit like trying to stop an oil tanker).

5 year performance shows it still at the top as it is there based on performance of a different fund manager and 3-5 years ago and not the last 2 years under the current fund manager.

According to Fidelity's material McCarron took over from Bolton in Jan 2003, which is significantly more than two years ago.
    Anything posted is not given as advice but to help with a discussion.
  • oldfellaoldfella Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    my Fidelity European is showing a 23% gain in the last 12 months - is this really bottom quartile ?
    107.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Fidelity's material McCarron took over from Bolton in Jan 2003, which is significantly more than two years ago.

As I said, big funds are like oil tankers. You can change direction but it takes a while to impact.
    my Fidelity European is showing a 23% gain in the last 12 months - is this really bottom quartile ?

ranked 167 out of 213 over 12 months (till end of May in Europe ex UK and inc/acc funds listed with both versions)

Over last 12 months bottom quartile. Previous 12 months 3rd quartile.
  • EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update on Fidelity European fund performance

Over 10 years: No.2 out of 56 funds

Over 5 years: 3/84

3 years: 15/93

1 year: 77/103 :(

BUT

...three months: 17/105

Looks like it's beginning to bounce back. :)

http://www.citywire.co.uk/Funds/Home.aspx
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Mojo71Mojo71 Forumite
    44 Posts
    I sold out of Fidelity "European" a few months ago, when I was deciding which PEP holding to liquidate (i.e. still wanted to keep my better investments).

However, I have recently gone back into it again via my Norwich Union pension, since they don't offer a great deal of external funds to choose from, and based on recent performance, as well as European market performance in general, I felt it better to diversify than having purely UK holdings.

Sorry, don't want to turn this into a Pension thread, but perhaps Dunston or Ed could comment on whether Norwich Union's external fund offerings are typical of the insurance company pensions industry. By this, I mean that they don't offer very many choices of providers (either their own funds, or a few by Invesco, Newton, Schroder, Merrill Lynch and Aberdeen). Do other insurance providers offer wider choice? And before anyone suggests alternatives, I have to use Norwich Union through my employer's plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals