Insert witty title here

Options

Comments

• Olliegami
    Olliegami Posts: 414 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks for the support. It was a tough decision at the time, and during dark days (I have them less and less!!) I sometimes question my choice, but no regrets! It's been amazing.
  • Olliegami
    Options
    It's been a pretty busy weekend, but as usual I didn't need to spend any money on anything! That's something that I should be thankful for, but I also don't have much money in the bank to spend ($7.25) so, it's not like I could buy anything if I wanted to.

When I get paid next week, however - I think my tune will change. It will be hard not to buy anything, and I know right now that it would be buying things simply for the sake of it! A habit I really need to get out of. Quick! It's like I feel shop!deprived, so when I go to a shop and there's money in my account I have to spend it???

I'm going to stay focused and keep going.

GL: £3.24
    GH: 685 HC
    OnePoll: £17.70
    Cl!xSense: £1.82
    Paypal: $6.52 (£4.18)
  • Olliegami
    Options
    It's Sunday night out here in Australia, and I've successfully managed another outing without spending any money.

There were a few moments when I was 'sure' I needed to buy some chocolate, and another when I pondered purchasing a book - but I have so many I need to read still! Despite being desperate for the next volume of a book by Bevan McGuiness.

I probably ought to start keeping some kind of tally of how many books I've got to read, too!

GL: £3.51
    GH: 782 HC
    OnePoll: £17.70
    Cl!xSense: £1.85
    Paypal: $6.52 (£4.18)

Mostly stagnant, but I guess that's what happens at the weekends!

Not sure if these Gifthulk codes are expired (Do they have an expiry on them?) but I still have some that haven't been used.

xqsn885sy
    qywwseme1
    yhlyyroov
  • Olliegami
    Options
    Hi again everyone! (Or no one. Well, no one that uses GiftHulk!)

Another day, another dollar! Nothing to report really, except there's a book I'm looking at buying, and I know I shouldn't but it's $12 which is pretty cheap out here and it's out of the Scholastic Book Club, which would support the kid's school.

Someone tell me not to get it!! (I can probably buy it cheaper, really. It's To Kill A Mockingbird)

I've only really got laundry to do tomorrow, (folding and ironing), so I might be able to get some extra work done toward my novel(s) tomorrow which would be awesome.

GL: £3.65
    GH: 891 HC
    OnePoll: £17.95
    Cl!xSense: £1.90
    Paypal: $6.52 (£4.19) [I guess the USD is stronger today!)
  • Olliegami
    edited 28 April 2015 at 1:13PM
    Options
    Just a check in tonight!

GL: £3.80
    GH: 946 HC
    OnePoll: £17.95
    Cl!xSense: £1.90
    Paypal: $6.52 (£4.16) This is jumping back and forth so much!
    Pureprofile: £15.80

I'm planning on getting a look in on ebay, and tomorrow getting my finances in order to see how much debt I owe. Time to start again!!
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    hi Ollie! Just stumbled upon your diary, well done for taking the plunge to go travelling, I admire that courage :) I love to kill a mockingbird. My copy is falling to bits but I love it still! I'm sure I paid around 99p a fair few years back for it ;) So If you haven't bought it yet perhaps check out some charity shops (I'm assuming everywhere has them please correct me if i'm wrong!) How long do you plan to be travelling/working abroad?
    Good luck with getting the debts organised and tackled!xx
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £250.96/300 84%(EF total £1750.96 - 1 month expenses! )~ NSD 4/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £283.29 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £97,285.47
  • Olliegami
    Options
    Hello!

Thanks for checking in on me, it's so nice to get support from other people. xxx

I had never thought about charity shops - I've been so immersed in the digital world that I would usually have bought it online through a second hand shop but there don't seem to be many websites like that in Oz, however I think I can try to source second hand shops - that would be fun to try out one day. Thanks for the idea!

I have no idea how long I'll be out here. I'm working for a family at the moment who can sign me off on a second year visa, so that is exciting and then I'm very tempted to visit my Mum in Alaska again before perhaps trying out New Zealand! I've got the bug now, but I think I need to really focus on the debt busting whilst I'm here.

As it happens I was just about to check in with an update on my accounts as I've just called a few places.
  • Olliegami
    Options
    CRAZY FINANCE UPDATE

Barclaycard: -£5,718.48

Tesco CC: -£1,202.07

Capital One: -£168.34

Which gives me a very sad grand total of £7088.89

The only positive thing I can say about that - is that I'm surprised it's less than the original amount!!
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    you're working though so that's a great thing, I take it your board is free with the family you Au Pair with? How about automatically taking 10% out of your pay each month (or more or less if you can/can't afford) and splitting it between the debts. I bet your travelling would be even more fun without the debt hanging around your neck. £7k is quite a lot but if you break it down you could easily have the smallest debt paid off first and then work your way up to the more expensive ones :) xx
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £250.96/300 84%(EF total £1750.96 - 1 month expenses! )~ NSD 4/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £283.29 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £97,285.47
  • Olliegami
    Options
    I didn't have much choice by the time I finally got here (I spent 3 months across America.) It's really not bad at all here at the moment. Room and board is free, meals out are paid for, no one minds what I eat, and I'm finally feeling content!

At the moment it's been a big hassle to try and work out the exchange rate and figure out how much to send home. The pound is so much stronger than the AUD which was awesome at first! Now I'm getting $800 a month, which ends up about £400 but my minimum payments add up to around £200. (Including things I'm still paying like critical illness insurance!)

I'm definitely going to try and focus my efforts on not spending the money I earn, and hopefully I can pay off the debts. (Starting with the smallest definitely!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure