DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Options

Comments

• spot3
    spot3 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I paid off my debt with Quickquid through my DMP this month (this was the one that pushed me too far and resulted in my DMP, I am in idiot who should have known better). Imagine my surprise to start receiving emails from them offering me discounted loans because "I've earned it".

Thankfully I'm a different person now, I may still be awful at budgeting but I know I can make the £5.21 I have last the 10 days until payday without borrowing from them but imagine if I didn't?? It'd all start again.

I can't believe its ok for them to target people who couldn't pay their debts previously.
    SPC8 #444 Target £200
  • Rooster01
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm starting dmp next month.......I'm making myself ill with worry.......if I'm not worried about creditors refusing payment plan I'm worrying about charging orders on my house. The morgage is joint but debts are only in my name.....How common are charging orders? I'm worried sick......
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Rooster01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm starting dmp next month.......I'm making myself ill with worry.......if I'm not worried about creditors refusing payment plan I'm worrying about charging orders on my house. The morgage is joint but debts are only in my name.....How common are charging orders? I'm worried sick......

Hi Rooster, well done for finding us!
    Charging orders, I'm not aware of any of us having one of those but if someone has I'm sure they will comment! Many of us are homeowners including myself and I have not had a whiff of co's or ccj, we pay what we can afford at a rate that suits us instead of the creditors. I don't feel any guilt to not now paying interest as I have paid my original debt many times over.
    Do stick around and join in, this is the best thread on mse.
    Puzz.x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Rooster, I agree with Puzz. I have been on a DMP for over three years now and can only think of one person on this thread mentioning a charging order on their house. I think it very unlikely. The start of a DMP is always a very stressful and worrying time but it won't be as bad as you think it is going to be. This is as Puzz says the best thread on MSE, very supportive and not judgemental at all, so please let us know how you get on. There's always someone here to help out if you have any worries or questions.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Rooster01
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Hi Rooster, well done for finding us!
    Charging orders, I'm not aware of any of us having one of those but if someone has I'm sure they will comment! Many of us are homeowners including myself and I have not had a whiff of co's or ccj, we pay what we can afford at a rate that suits us instead of the creditors. I don't feel any guilt to not now paying interest as I have paid my original debt many times over.
    Do stick around and join in, this is the best thread on mse.
    Puzz.x

Just really tired and finding the whole thing extremely stressful. Not sleeping......I'm worried about a charging order due to the fact my morgage I only owe £28,000 and my house is worth around £177,000. I've worked extremely hard in paying my morgage off so worried about charging order. The house is my daughters future......
  • Hi all,

Just catching up the thread :)

2nd payment gone out to SC this month - all quiet on the creditor front, no emails/calls for a while :D

Have booked a couple of days off work and have actual cash to go Christmas shopping with - I can say that I have not been in this position for about 7 years and it feels AMAZING!!!

Here's to DMPs and it's thanks to all you lovely folk for helping me to get into this position in the first place :)

BDFSH x
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Just really tired and finding the whole thing extremely stressful. Not sleeping......I'm worried about a charging order due to the fact my morgage I only owe £28,000 and my house is worth around £177,000. I've worked extremely hard in paying my morgage off so worried about charging order. The house is my daughters future......

Hi Rooster,

Try not to worry, and sleepless nights are a common theme on here until you get into the DMP.

Some folk on here have paid off their mortgage while in DMP, mostly these are threats the creditors make to ensure you dont run away without paying, many don't even default us (even if we ask them to:mad:).

Gotta go...
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Hi Rooster,

While you are paying your debts there's not a lot your creditors can - or are willing - to do. They would have to take you to court and any judge would look at your willingness to pay what you can afford and probably tell them to get lost.

I remember reading of one guy who was harassed by a creditor and the judge awarded the guy the amount he owed plus legal charges plus gave him a £1 a month repayment scheme.

Setting up a DMP puts you into a highly responsible group, creditors know that if they push you too hard you can say 'okay sue me' and they will get less in the end.
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, it appears I have the choice of two part time jobs now :eek: I have a trial shift on Friday at my preferred one. Hopefully I can use all of this income to whack of my debts. I will pay my daughter back first, then get an emergency fund in place, then think about upping my monthly payments. Does this sound OK to you lot?

Also, tell me about Noddle? I hear it a lot in these threads. Is it actually beneficial? Any negative impacts etc etc? I don't know anything about it
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    zenshi wrote: »
    Well, it appears I have the choice of two part time jobs now :eek: I have a trial shift on Friday at my preferred one. Hopefully I can use all of this income to whack of my debts. I will pay my daughter back first, then get an emergency fund in place, then think about upping my monthly payments. Does this sound OK to you lot?

Also, tell me about Noddle? I hear it a lot in these threads. Is it actually beneficial? Any negative impacts etc etc? I don't know anything about it

Hi
    Noddle is not as detailed as the likes of experian but is free and shows your debts, balances usually a month behind and you can see the status of the debt ie; default, up to date, arrangement to pay etc. It is useful to check balances on debts you may not get statements for and to see who has defaulted - good to who has marked you AP - not so good. No negative impact that I am aware of, I signed up a long time ago.
    Puzz.x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income