DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Options

Comments

• ForMySister
    Options
    Morning everyone, at the risk of being really soppy can I just say that I really appreciate all of your support. You're amazing people who have made a terrible time in my life much more manageable.

Right, down to business. I spoke with my sister last night and she is adamant that she is going back to work tomorrow. If she self certifies it means she doesn't have to disclose what happened and can say she had the flu or something. Ok, I get that. Maybe work is something that would help her, but I'll keep an eye on the situation to make sure it doesn't get too much for her.

I received confirmation from StepChange that I have authority to discuss her account so I'll call them next week and see what I can do about adding the other two accounts onto her DMP. Her plan hasn't officially started yet so I hope there won't be a problem. I also want to talk to them about postponing the start of the plan until the first of February because I have read on this fabulous forum that my sister should try and build up an emergency fund. Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

Next on the list is writing to the two creditors that terrify her to tell them no phone calls. Not sure how that's going to be. One hasn't responded to my original email and the other responded telling me to get my sister to call them. Err, No!! Quick query, my initial reaction is to send them back a very strongly worded email. Is this a bad idea?
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Morning everyone, at the risk of being really soppy can I just say that I really appreciate all of your support. You're amazing people who have made a terrible time in my life much more manageable.

Right, down to business. I spoke with my sister last night and she is adamant that she is going back to work tomorrow. If she self certifies it means she doesn't have to disclose what happened and can say she had the flu or something. Ok, I get that. Maybe work is something that would help her, but I'll keep an eye on the situation to make sure it doesn't get too much for her.

I received confirmation from StepChange that I have authority to discuss her account so I'll call them next week and see what I can do about adding the other two accounts onto her DMP. Her plan hasn't officially started yet so I hope there won't be a problem. I also want to talk to them about postponing the start of the plan until the first of February because I have read on this fabulous forum that my sister should try and build up an emergency fund. Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

Next on the list is writing to the two creditors that terrify her to tell them no phone calls. Not sure how that's going to be. One hasn't responded to my original email and the other responded telling me to get my sister to call them. Err, No!! Quick query, my initial reaction is to send them back a very strongly worded email. Is this a bad idea?

Delaying until February is a good idea for several reasons: It allows a build up of emergency fund; allows practising a budget rather than being thrown straight into it; encourages early defaults. Just make sure a small token payment is paid each month until the DMP starts and remember that if your sister pays Stepchange on the 1st of February, it doesn't go out to creditors until 25th, so take this into account in token payments.

Love and hugs to you and your sister, you are going to be a great team together and she really is very lucky to have you but I bet she knows that already.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    I echo everything TTFTM says. Glad we've helped ForMySister, that's exactly what this thread is for. With regards to your sister going back to work, if it's what she wants let her try. I suffer from depression at times and the best thing for me is part of my day distracted from the feelings in an environment where nobody knows. I know her problems are much bigger than just the debt but having something that shut out the debt was a godsend for me in the early days.

Now on a selfish note, mock exam is done! Pass mark is 70% and I got 86% :j dropped marks on silly mistakes and hadn't reviewed early stuff. It was my first mock so a fantastic starting point to build from - I have 8 more days ;) going to review my notes, work on the bits I missed and take a few more mocks this week. Really quite proud of myself :D and actually the bits that felt like a smack in the chops yesterday REALLY sank in - 100% on those questions so it was worth feeling a bit carp yesterday as I studied it ;)

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Lighthelamp
    Options
    OK I have contacted StepChange & got back the documents, just need someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing before I sign them & post them back? The way I see it I don't have a choice. In the process of losing my job through ill health & debts to Barclaycard, Creation, Nationwide, Santander & Tesco totally £30k. I'm very worried about things like being threatened with CCJ's etc, how likely is this if I enter the DMP? Until now I have pretty much kept on top of all payments.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    OK I have contacted StepChange & got back the documents, just need someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing before I sign them & post them back? The way I see it I don't have a choice. In the process of losing my job through ill health & debts to Barclaycard, Creation, Nationwide, Santander & Tesco totally £30k. I'm very worried about things like being threatened with CCJ's etc, how likely is this if I enter the DMP? Until now I have pretty much kept on top of all payments.

Hi Lightthelamp, welcome to the thread (sorry if you've posted here before and I missed it).

Sorry to hear about your ill health problems, and I hope you are getting the treatment and support you need. Sounds like its a long-term thing so make sure you have had the best advice you can about leaving the job (options on retiring/taking annual leave etc etc).

Good news - a DMP is an informal agreement, so if you change your mind or things improve you can cancel it. (Different in Scotland).

1st thing on my mind here is that I feel you might be rushing things, totally understand why and can imagine how you might be feeling. CCJs are unlikely if you show you are paying what you can, very very few on here (if anyone??) reports getting a CCJ when they are actually making payments even if reduced payments.

Are you worrying about baliffs..I did when I started out, but again, very very unlikely unless you stop paying and don't get in contact with creditors.

Ok - so now you've taken a deep breath, do you have an emergency fund? ..what will happen if you go into DMP and the boiler breaks down, or the car :mad: needs a new brake etc etc etc (emergencies are life's eventualities).

So maybe consider delaying the start of your DMP for a few months until you have a little fund as back up. You just have to make token payments to creditors £1 each per month will do, SC will advise you to do this anyway while they sort out the paperwork.

If you are off work and have time to read through this thread I think you'll find it useful even if you only go back a few pages I'm sure you'll get useful tips. I'm with SC they are free and I'm happy with them but there are some down sides, however they are a great way to start out.

Enough of me for now - key message - don't panic & take your time.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Hi Lighthelamp, I don't know what income you will have coming in when the job goes but I am guessing it won't be a lot if you are considering a DMP. CCJ's are very unlikely on a DMP as long as you keep up with your agreed payments. Usually creditors only go to court when the money stops coming in. There may be other options you could consider especially if you think it is unlikely that you will work again. Have you been to see anyone such as CAB? Might be worth a chat.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all :)

ForMySis, you are doing a great job! I'm sure your sis really appreciates your efforts :) But it can take a little while for creditors to reply to emails as they (and a lot of other businesses) treat emails as lower priority (this is because it's easy to ignore an email while a customer shouting down the phone requires more immediate action, I'm not suggesting you do this btw). I would hold fire for a day or two to allow the none responding creditor to reply and ask the other exactly WHY they need to speak to your sister... It could be to ask her permission to speak to you maybe? Also, I agree with what others have said, an emergency fund is vital!

Kate, KICK A$$!!! :D

Lamp, Sazzie and GUO are spot on! It sounds to me like you may be rushing things along too... Have you spoken to someone at StepChange to discuss your position and options or just used the website? If you've not spoken to anyone then I recommend you look into doing this before doing anything else. I don't want to turn you off the idea altogether though, just buy you some time... Also, be HYPER realistic with your budget, is it reasonable or are you making the classic mistake of punishing yourself to pay as much as possible leaving yourself with hardly anything to live off? Something else which you might find useful is to post a list of all the questions you have in your mind (questions, worries, concerns, they're all good :)).

G'night!

MB of G x
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    jessbaird wrote: »
    I did originally ask Payplan but they said it was something they don't deal with. To be honest I was considering pushing it further with Payplan see if they can deal with it, I hate talking to student finance they are so rude.

Jess xx

Have found an example of a student loan being included in a DMP:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105912

If Stepchange can do it, I don't see why Payplan can't, so give it a go today.

TTFTM x
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options

Will this be token payments or a full DMP? I agree with other comments so far and would recommend seeking some other advice before signing anything. I'm not saying a DMP isn't the correct choice but Stepchange do sometimes push this as a solution when something else could be better.

It would be worth giving National Debtline a call:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/Pages/default.aspx

TTFTM x
  • lewpster
    lewpster Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone :) Hope you are well?

I've come home to 3 letters today eek. 2 from Tesco - one saying I need to pay £20.00 in 28 days or my account will default, one issuing a default notice and a statement from Barclaycard.

Albeit a default is not great, this is what I want isn't it as 1st DMP payment only went out today?

Thanks x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport