DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Options

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    jessbaird wrote: »
    Hello all

I know it's abit out there but has anyone ever dealt with student finance with an overpayment issue. They over laid me when I was in uni & there is around £650 remaining on the over payment to be paid. I usually pay it monthly but since starting my dmp I can't afford to pay them, I haven't called them yet cause I'm looking for advice on where I stand first cause when ever I ring they just threaten me with bailiffs each & every time.

Any advice at all would be great Thank you :)

Was there a particular reason why you didn't include this debt in your DMP? You may still be able to get it added now if you ask Payplan's advice.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • jessbaird
    Options
    Was there a particular reason why you didn't include this debt in your DMP? You may still be able to get it added now if you ask Payplan's advice.

TTFTM x

I did originally ask Payplan but they said it was something they don't deal with. To be honest I was considering pushing it further with Payplan see if they can deal with it, I hate talking to student finance they are so rude.

Jess xx
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2014 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Florida15 wrote: »
    Hi, we are 1 year into a DMP with StepChange.

All been ok and all had stopped interest. However today we receive our barclaycard statement, we usually pay £83.50 via stepchange but they now want a monthly payment of £235.00.

We tried to call barclaycard but as we have not spoken to them in years, apparently we failed their security questions.

We don't know what to do are are worried sick as we pay what we can afford and could not pay what they are asking.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

I received a letter from BC just before my first year dmp anniversary requesting updated info or they would assume I was financially sorted. I rang SC and they sent my info out again and I have just received this months BC statement and my payment is the same as before but the minimum payment requested has gone up but still no interest so I am just keeping a close on them..!

edited to add.. I've actually just sent them a secure online message questioning what's happening.. I'll let you know if I get a response!
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    C'mon Kate... We need to know how the interview went! Did you kick the a$$es of the other "candidates"? ;) As for going self managed, if I get back to work then this is the route I plan on taking... Probably be April time to allow me to get back in full time but keep on reduced payments and then stick the boot in if I've had a chance to raise enough for sensible F&F's (or rather, if a 'relative' has kindly offered me enough to make sensible F&F's ;)).

ForMySister, I'm not going to pretend to know or be a professional or knowledgeable in anyway but your Sis might just want to draw a line under everything that has happened and may think that returning to work is the way to do this... Have you asked her why she just wants to self certificate, is she worried about what her GP might say/do? A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia (I'm not saying that's the case here) and it came to light he has not seen a GP for over 12 years (despite serious medical issues, he just lied and said he had seen one) - my point being he had his own suspicions but was afraid to seek help as he expected the worst...

Florida, I suspect TtFtM is right... Barclaycard are a law unto themselves :( if it's been 12 months then the original agreement has probably lapsed so I'd call BC to confirm the status of your DMP agreement with them and then speak to SC to update them/ask them to contact BC (if it has lapsed, BC should freeze interest and charges again until SC contact them).

Jessbaird, I could be wrong but I don't think student debt can be included in a DMP? I know they can't be included in a DRO... You might want to try speaking to another debt charity too if Payplan aren't being too helpful? I'm not saying that they could do anything differently but they might be more 'forthcoming' with advice on what to do... As for them threatening to get the bailiffs on you, I suspect this is all bluster as I can't imagine a court agreeing to this if you are on a DMP and seen to be paying all that you can? Although hopefully someone with more experience in the matter should be along to advice soon :)

MB of G x
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    Sorry I'm late back people! Had been faffing all day before the interview so had to do some actual work after then it was a whirlwind of school run, feeding time and fireworks!

It seemed to go okay at the time but now I'm stressing. I was interviewed by two people I know well which was very weird but meant I had a couple of leading questions so they got the "right" answers. Practical part was great though (once I could see the screen properly - don't try to analyse a spreadsheet on a SMART board!) and I'll find out early next week. I'm hopeful that I have an edge on the others as I've been doing part of the job for quite a while and the other candidates have been doing very different work but you never really know do you?

I'll be straight on here when I know next week.

Trying to distract myself with studying right now (and trying to stop eating rubbish too!) but finding it difficult to concentrate. 9 days to first exam and not too stressed about it yet. I just want them out the way now. Equally I just want to know about the job too as whatever the outcome my workload will decrease (I'll probably moan that I'm bored then ;))

Have booked myself a day off work on Friday so I can have some time all to myself. Currently scouring Groupon for a cheap pampering treat. With all the uni trips and birthdays and weekend away I feel like I haven't had a break in weeks and I'm getting a bit run down. I've also been eating very unhealthily so I went back to Slimming World on Thursday and I'm back on plan as a gained a little, only a few pounds over my target so as long as I drop half a pound this week I won't have to pay. Hoping the healthy eating will fend off the cold that seems to be starting and the laziness that's crept into my life.

Anyway! Enough procrastinating! I'm going to spend a full hour with my books and then I can spend the rest of the day lounging on the sofa watching trashy made for TV christmas movies even though it's only November ;)

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Monkeyballs
    Options
    Hurrah! Fingers in the post Kate :)

MB of G x
  • Monkeyballs
    Options
    Huh? Why can't I edit that post? LOL I meant 'fingers in the post' or 'cheques are crossed for you' :)

DURR LOL

MB
  • Monkeyballs
    Options
    NOOOOO!!!! I didn't mean that and I can't edit that one either LOL stupid brain!!! you know what I mean though :)

MB of G xxx
  • Florida15
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    I received a letter from BC just before my first year dmp anniversary requesting updated info or they would assume I was financially sorted. I rang SC and they sent my info out again and I have just received this months BC statement and my payment is the same as before but the minimum payment requested has gone up but still no interest so I am just keeping a close on them..!

edited to add.. I've actually just sent them a secure online message questioning what's happening.. I'll let you know if I get a response!

Thanks puzz
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NOOOOO!!!! I didn't mean that and I can't edit that one either LOL stupid brain!!! you know what I mean though :)

MB of G xxx

Are you OK MB? Do you need a lie down?
    (Psst you haven't been at the wacky baccy perchance?):rotfl::rotfl:
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts