in Motoring
17 replies 2K views
2»

Replies

• minislimminislim Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    i wish tesco's would get their act together. they advertise on the side of their petrol stations that they're " saving you ££'s"

yet up here in oldham they are actually the dearest supermarket petrol station around here.

currently asda are 132.7p, sainsbury's & morrisons 132.9p and tesco's are £134.9p.

so in reality they actually cost you more money.
    a normal shell petrol station nearby is the same price!

but i've given up on tesco's, they've lost the plot.

their meat, fruit and veg is appalling. their deals in general aren't anything to shout about.

and they wonder why their profits are falling?

if they stopped trying to con their customers and catch them out with "non" deals and promotions they wouldn't be loosing customers to aldi, asda and morrisons.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaHaHa - Having been 133.9 for months our local Sainsburys garag put the price up to 135.9 in the last few days - no doubt so they can now 'cut' prices by 2p/litre.

Sainsburys are doing their best to lose my custom of late, I used to be very loyal to them but there constant price increases ssugest they don't want my sort of custom anymore.
    I think....
  • edited 7 June 2014 at 1:01AM
    reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 June 2014 at 1:01AM
    by there are some proper moaners around today, blaming MSE for promoting a news story or wow its saving cash come on its a story but if you have to moan moan about why its around half a pence more expensive on the market but at the pumps its 4p difference. any reduction has to be welcome as every penny counts

It's not news, just a parrotted press release.

Asda is often 0.2 pence a litre cheaper than its neighbours, but sometimes 0.8p more, which hardly merits the same MSE cliche every time - why is it so mandatory to use the phrase sparked a price war?
  • rochjarochja Forumite
    564 Posts
    ✭✭
    Reaper. You might like to read and comment on this:
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1092274_u-n-study-concludes-diesel-particulates-low-and-declining-in-europe-u-s

The article is based on a UN study so should be given weight. The commentary may be a little more biaised.

However, I will continue to drive my modern small diesel thanks.
    Life is like a box of chocolates - drop it and the soft centres splash everywhere
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    michaels wrote: »
    HaHaHa - Having been 133.9 for months our local Sainsburys garag put the price up to 135.9 in the last few days - no doubt so they can now 'cut' prices by 2p/litre.

Sainsburys are doing their best to lose my custom of late, I used to be very loyal to them but there constant price increases ssugest they don't want my sort of custom anymore.

And sure enough a 'price cut' to 134.9 - ie 1p a litre more than a week ago - have they been reading from the Tesco pricing manual? Time to dump Sainsurys shares too methinks.
    I think....
  • RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live about 3 miles from the nearest expensive fuel station, (rural Lincs.) 18 miles from the nearest Tesco and 20 miles from Morrison's, which is my superstore of choice. Tesco cannot touch Morrison's for fuel price: spend at least £40 on groceries each week for 3 weeks and get 6p a liter off. The (local) Morrison's basic diesel price is already cheaper than Tesco. I have a C-Max 2 liter Turbo with a tank that gives me around 500+ miles when full. So I fill up at Morrison's, by timing my shopping and traveling as much as I can to leave less than 50 miles in the tank before fill-ups.

Tomorrow I shall take my granddaughter to Cleethorpes for the day and fill up at the nearby Morrison's. Happy motoring, happy G-D, brownie points for granddad.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • GolfBravoGolfBravo Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Does MSE get paid by supermarkets to plug these?
    Nope.

Headline news like this bring in extra website traffic = increased affiliate marketing revenue.
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides