PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Side veg?

Options
I seem to have got a few set side veg that I have been making for 25+ years - I think I need to branch out lol!

Currently it odds on I will serve:
Potatoes mashed or roasted
Carrots glazed in sugar and butter
Cauli cheese
Baked beans
Tinned sweetcorn

Very occasionally I will do roast parsnips.

Any ideas for me to try?

Comments

• wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Frozen mixed veg?

saut!ed spinach with bacon and onion
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I seem to have got a few set side veg that I have been making for 25+ years - I think I need to branch out lol!

Cauli cheese
    Baked beans
    Tinned sweetcorn

Any ideas for me to try?

Why no green veg?

I regularly do cabbage (various types) and love runner beans and broad beans when in season. Carrot and parsnip mash or carrot and swede mash is good. I've made a huge pot of red cabbage with apple and onion and frozen that in portions. I frequently do tomatoes and mushrooms and fried onions to go with steaks and burgers. And what about peas including mushy peas? That's just the basic everyday stuff.
  • Auntie_Sceb
    Auntie_Sceb Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Salad, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery, beetroot. You need more greens, cabbage, brocolli.

What about putting veg in your meals rather than as a side?

Fatijas, meat/quorn, onions, peppers. Lasagne, moussaka, bolagnese, chilli add veg to meat or all veg
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Get yourself a food steamer. I use mine a lot. It even comes on my SC holidays.
    Today i have fresh carrots and frozen pea's in mine.

I cook all sorts of veg in it = broccoli, cabbage, carrots, parsnips, runner beans, all sorts.
    I cook potatoes in the steamer too!
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Cauli cheese
    Baked beans
    Tinned sweetcorn

Yes after 25 years it's time for a change!!! The side veg used will partly/sometimes depend on what you're serving them with.

I always have tins of peas in - mushy peas to go with pie/chips, garden peas to mix with instant noodles. Frozen peas with any hot meal (stew, pie, even chips or breaded items, fishcakes)

Tinned tomatoes are nice - I only use those as part of a cooked breakfast or with macaroni cheese.

"Greens" are nice.... cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli. All just steamed/boiled and served with roast dinners, or even with pie/spuds or alongside a stew.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    lets see
    this time of year British Asparagus is gorgeous. I just either blanch it in boiling water for a minute or two then pop on the griddle or boil it for a few mins until just 'al dente' - then it gets a pat of butter.
    Sugar snap peas or mangetout are very popular in my house - especially with the grandgirls.
    Cabbage - blanched sliced Savoy cabbage is absolutely delish if then stir fried in butter or olive oil. especially if you add a bit of crushed garlic. White cabbage can also be done like this too, but doesn't have quite the flavour of Savoy.
    Butternut squash............divine roasted until the edges char. toss the chunks in olive or sunflower oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for about 35 mins in a hot oven. You don't even need to peel it as the skin softens in the heat.
    almost any veg tastes better roasted in my opinion - I like to mix onions, mushrooms, red peppers, yellow peppers with some oregano or thyme to roast as a mediterean veg mix.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    this http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/one-pot-meals/braised-red-cabbage-with-apples.html

freezes really well

roast veg, peppers, red onion, courgette, aubergine, sweet potatoes, butternut squash.

ratatouille.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Cauli cheese
    Baked beans
    Tinned sweetcorn

Any ideas for me to try?

Chinese greens:
    Pak choi/spring greens/Savoy cabbage (not the white ones)
    1 small sliced red or green chilli
    1 tsp fresh chopped ginger/1 tbsp dried ginger
    1 garlic clove
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    Salt and pepper

Sweet potato wedges:
    Boiled sweet potato strips
    Paprika
    Salt and pepper
    - drizzle with oil, sprinkle with seasonings and roast in oven
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All those veg are high sugar

I detest veg, I've posted in the past how I choose not to eat it

As an adult I know I must so I do my best

Cabbage, I only like pointed, I cook that is a saut! pan with butter and a dash of water, lid on and it's done within minutes

Cauliflower and broccoli I mix and add a cheese sauce, cover in breadcrumbs and chilli and bake, and use that instead of stuffing with chicken

Carrots and parsnips, roasted or boiled and mashed together

Swede, mashed

Sweet potatoes, lovely just baked in the oven instead of chips or wedges

Leeks, sliced washed, and cooked with a small knob of butter and the water clinging to them

Lettuce and peas braised in a pan with a light stock ( half a cube )

Fresh broad beans, blanch to remove the skins and then a couple of minutes boil

All green beans, few minutes boil

Squashes, cut into chunks and roasted with salt, pepper chillies

Aubergines, peppers, courgettes, tomatoes, cut into chunks , roast in a tray with olive oil and herbs of choice

One thing is to learn what veg is in season and start from there. Google is a good friend when learning how to cook something new or disliked. You may think you don't like cabbage cos of memories of over boiled slop served in schools, but thinly sliced and saut!ed it's delish, and raw in a salad it's a different thing altogether

I'm learning to appreciate veg and learning that just cos I didn't like mums way and grand mums way of cooking it, I might actually like jamies way

Good luck
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Broccoli - I stir fry it in a shallow pan in a little oil, then when it's browned a little on the edges, add a little boiling water and put the lid on, this flash steams it... when tender take the lid off, fry off an water and add a little soy sauce if you like. Yummy! This got my hubby to eat broccoli. (top tip, if you wrap the head of broccoli in foil in the fridge it will keep longer)
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport