Gel nails at home

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I do use a prep, the red carpet one http://www.sallyexpress.com/red-carpet-manicure-prep-nail-sanitiser/

Frayasmum what oil is good to use? I was putting a (cheap) cuticle oil on the last time but have stopped for this time as I wondered if that shortened the varnish life. This manicure is lasting longer so the oil I was using could have been a factor in the short life. Should I be using an oil that is specifically designed for gel nails?
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do use a prep, the red carpet one http://www.sallyexpress.com/red-carpet-manicure-prep-nail-sanitiser/

Frayasmum what oil is good to use? I was putting a (cheap) cuticle oil on the last time but have stopped for this time as I wondered if that shortened the varnish life. This manicure is lasting longer so the oil I was using could have been a factor in the short life. Should I be using an oil that is specifically designed for gel nails?

Yes, but how are you prepping? Are you removing cuticles beforehand? And then using the prep liquid? If there is any living tissue left on the nail then no product will adhere properly.

In truth, any oil is better than no oil - even olive oil! To get the maximum benefits though, you are best to use a finely milled oil for best penetration.

Keep using your oils and you will see a difference in a litttle while :)
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    how is everyone getting on??

I am getting better at applying the polish, my nails are certainly looking neater than when I first started, they have also started to grow I am sure this is down to the fact they are now protected with the varnish.

My last attempt I manged to get 14 days wear, that was using (fake) gelish. I did struggle to remove it though any tips on removal welcome. I have brought some of those rubber finger tops that secretaries wear to put over the nails next time.

AC - where do you buy your gelish from? I am thinking of buying a good quality top and bottom coat and using the cheaper versions for the colours.
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 July 2014 at 9:56AM
    Options
    i've just done my removal & re-apply today, will try to remember to upload some pics tomorrow. best removal yet, even with glitter which normally needs a little bit of help to get off, all the colour & glitter just came off in one after 12 mins. hot water definitely helps but i'm very impressed with the remover i'm using (think i linked to it earlier, D-Solve).

i've been lucky enough to nab genuine gelish on ebay up to now. if you get on ok with other brands of colour, then go for it. i'm just very wary of using anything that might cause damage when trying to remove as it's stuck like glue, which appears to be a known issue with some of the copy type brands.

latest, one coat of purple then glitter mixed in an off clear gelish (bashful), dabbed on, 2 x top coat. it's still a bit bumpy on a couple of nails so perhaps would have been better to cleanse off & lightly buff, then top coat. haven't done that before & i'm not too sure if you need anything else before you top coat again? it's a lovely holo glitter though, purple with iridescent bits, but i think i'd do 2 layers of purple base colour next time i use it like this.

P1020638.jpg
  • AbbieCadabra
    edited 1 August 2014 at 2:11PM
    Options
    sensationail special offer heads up, runs from 5pm on Friday 1st August to 5pm Monday 4th August 2014, this product will be available for £45 (think this inc delivery but can't check until offer goes live), usually £69.99.

this is nearly the same as the one i got from boots just before xmas, mine had 2 full size colours in it (which i only used once anyway). great little kit for getting started on gel nails at home (n.b. doesn't include anything for removal) :)
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got the same set but with "scarlet" its a good one. I also have this pink, it's quite pale but thanks to AbbieCadabra I was brave and mixed a coat of silver glitter - which looked very pretty over the pink. I've just done sugarplum today which us a lovely red wine colour and very glossy.

I had "ocean wave" on holiday which was gorgeous but needed 3 coats...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • iammumtoone
    Options

i've been lucky enough to nab genuine gelish on ebay up to now. if you get on ok with other brands of colour, then go for it. i'm just very wary of using anything that might cause damage when trying to remove as it's stuck like glue, which appears to be a known issue with some of the copy type brands.

Thank you I think that is my problem, the base I am using must be fake (I thought it might be). It doesn't some off and takes alot of scrapping :eek: I will go back to using my red carpet base. However on the plus side with the fake one, it does make the varnish last I have used it twice and had two weeks wear, I will use it again but only on special occasions I am going on holiday soon and will use it then as I know the varnish will last the week I am away with it.
  • ganderson1804
    Options
    Hi ladies

Sorry to interrupt your thread… I am away to start trying my own gel nails at home.

I have ordered some lint free pads and also a smile line brush. I’m just going to buy bits at a time. My friend has a lamp so she’s going to send me the link to it.

I was thinking of using harmony gelish. I did think about using shellac but from what I can see gelish seems to last a little longer. Do any of you use gelish? I want to get a couple of colours and also the stuff for doing a French x
  • AbbieCadabra
    Options
    harmony gelish is all i use, it easily lasts 3 weeks, i could leave longer but the re-growth is too noticeable. haven't tried shellac, from what i understand, you're only supposed to use their specific products for shellac, you can't mix & match base/top/type of lamp. this put me off trying in case it didn't suit me.
  • ganderson1804
    Options
    I'm now not sure about the gelish...

I would need base coat, top coat, white, blush and I want a sparkle and 1 colour too... that's looking to be an outlay of around £80...

I've never tried this stuff before so I wonder if I should try a cheaper version before spending big...

What do you think? Has anyone had any success with a cheaper brand?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure