30 days notice OR request PAC?

Options
Hi. I thought I had it all planned out correctly - now I'm not sure as I keep reading conflicting directions.

My Orange contract comes to an end 24.7.14. Next billing date is 17.6.2014. I usually am well within my included usage so there's rarely anything extra to pay. I had thought I would write in now and say that I don't want to renew on 24.7.14 and please send me my PAC code so that I can toddle off to someone else on the 24th. But is that right?

Do I need to do that as I've read other posts elsewhere which seemed to say EITHER cancel giving 30 days notice OR ask for the PAC code but I'm a bit confused now as I was planning to do both..... Don't I HAVE to give notice? Or should I just phone and request the PAC now?

I've also got confused as some folk seem to say "30 days before end of contract" whilst others are saying "look at your next billing date" and what is 30 days - 30 working days or if its the 24th of July end contract date do you just work it out based on giving notice on 24 June????

Would it be best to write in now using Recorded Delivery giving notice, and then phone the day before the contract is due to end to ask for the PAC?????

Please can you kindly give your sage advice? Thanks!!

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    I don't use PAC codes, but it IS either or. As for the notice; once you're within the last 60 days you can call and give notice to end on the last day of the minimum term - not 30days from the date you call (unless you do call exactly 30 days before that date).

The billing date has absolutely nothing to do with the statement date since they charge pro-rata on the bill immediately before the cancellation date.

I'm not sure about PAC codes (since I don't use them) but believe that when you get one you have 30 days to use it or lose it (in which case the contract continues) and that if you do use it you will then be charged for the another 30 days (but could be wrong about this last point - it may just be up to the end date of the minimum term). I think that if you use it before you enter the last 30 days of the contract minimum term you'd be charged right up until the date of that. You can clarify that by calling Orange.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Request PAC. (Day 1)

Submit PAC to new provider (Day 28)

Number ports and your old contract ceases (Day 29/30)

That way, there is minimal overspill.

Job done.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is one or the other.....you cannot do both.

If you are not bothered about keeping your number just ring on the 30th day before the end of the minimum term ends.

If you want to keep your number request a PAC again within 30 days of the end of the minimum term.

Using the PAC terminates the contract.....but don't request one and then not use it within 30 days or the contract will keeping running as a monthly rolling contract.

If you request a PAC before the 30 days from end of minimum term they may may apply early termination charges.

Some networks let you write in some don't.

Vodafone recently accepted written notice on one of my contracts but T-Mobile replied by letter telling me I had to ring in.
  • halesowenmum
    halesowenmum Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant - I'm sorted now thank you so much!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure