Asus A88XM-Plus network adapter loses speed after reboot..stumped!

Hi all, sorry for long post but wanted to [STRIKE]waffle[/STRIKE] - give as much info as possible to show what I've tried so far.

Recently built myself a budget desktop pc in Feb, and got it set up just how I want it and everything seems to run fine, but just recently noticed that my network download speed drops drastically every time I turn on pc or reboot. Don't know if pc has always done this since built..or if I've only just noticed :)

I've been trying to work out for the last couple of weeks whether it's a software/hardware or Windows problem. Googled and googled, uninstalled chipset drivers/individual drivers, reinstalled etc...and it keeps returning, I'm stumped!

Specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CPU: AMD A10-6800K
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: Asus A88XM-Plus (FM2+)
(Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Driver date 18/12/2013 -
Driver version 8.24.1218.2013)
Main HDD: 465GB Seagate Hybrid SSD + 2 other storage HDDs

I'm on Plusnet fibre (76MB down/18MB up) using a BT Home Hub 5 and I get on average 64MB down and approx 15MB upload speeds connected by ethernet. But this new desktop when switched on or after a reboot only has a dl speed of between 1mb/5mb, the upload speed (using speedtest.net) isn't affected. No other computers/devices (ethernet or wireless) that I have using the same network have any connection/speed problems. Just this one!

I've tried to diagnose by eliminating the obvious, used different cat5 cables, diff ports on the router - even hooked up my old Home Hub 4 + openreach modem and the same problem returns, so it's definitely this pc..I just don't know if it's the drivers or motherboard or windows? I thought I'd solved it by installing/rolling back a driver as the speeds immediately returned to normal, but next reboot speed dropped again.

So, this is my "workaround" now, every time I turn on this pc I have to go through the rigmarole of uninstalling/reinstalling the LAN driver to get normal, faster speeds.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions please? I'd be very grateful as I've run out. I was thinking to just do a fresh install of Windows to see if that fixed it but I don't really want to have to do that unless absolutely necessary :)

I'm sure one of the MSE Techie geniuses can solve my maddening motherboard mystery!

Cheers

speedtestresults.jpg

Comments

• jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 31 May 2014 at 9:01AM
    That is your download speed via the internet, what happens if you copy a large file over the network to another pc or network device? You can check the speed easily enough by viewing task manager -> performance and select network. Just see if its significantly larger than the figures you got. If it isnt then it could be a motherboard issue, poss driver. I'd be tempted to try a live llinux distro, someone else can recommend one.

Other things i might look at is setting full duplex on driver settings to 100mbps rather than auto if you havent tried.

Edit, also are you using dhcp? If not try loading the comand prompt and typing ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and see if it has the same effect as your workaround. Also have you got norton or anything installed?
  • danmanchester
    danmanchester Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi, thanks for taking time to reply and for your suggestions.

I copied a couple of videos over from this pc to laptop and it showed the throughput speed as 54Mbps, which is roughly the same speed my laptop connects to internet. Copying the same video files back over from laptop to pc was a bit faster approx 62Mbps.

I changed the Speed & Duplex setting from auto to 100Mbps full duplex and then ran a speedtest and got a dl speed of 3mb :rotfl:then changed it back to auto and still 3mb dl speed/14mb ul speed.

DHCP yes, enabled.

Don't have Norton, was using Eset Smart security v7 but uninstalled that, using Panda cloud av for now, although I have done these speedtests with no security software at all just in case something was blocking incoming connections but still got same results. Really baffling me trying to isolate what/where the problem is.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    So you get 54mbps (at least) in a local connection (presume the laptop is wifi which is limiting this) but as soon as the packet leaves the local 192. network it slows to a crawl? And this is via an ethernet cable plugged into the router? I'm thinking this is going to be an issue with windows, perhaps the MS network stack is !!!!!!ed, or causing conflicts with the realtek driver. Was the speed slow before you ever installed any anti virus? Again, uninstalling anti virus sometimes doesn't get rid of it (norton for example used to be a !!!!!!!, its like having herpes, it never goes away, needed to use a special uninstaller)

I'm assuming you're pretty close to the router, so have you tried a USB wifi dongle just to see if its different? I too have plusnet fibre, and have checked and the same driver name is listed, mine is just the generic realtek one rather than one bundled by gigabyte. Doubt it is an modem issue.

As its a new install, I'd probably try the following:

1) Try a usb adapter if you have one, or if you want to stay on ethernet, get a PCI / pcie network card
    2) Do a windows refresh and failing that a full reinstallation- hopefully not too much to backup if built in feb

If you don't have 1) then just go straight to 2. After a fresh install (don't install any updates or newer drivers just yet) try speedtest.net and see what happens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure