🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

what is the cheapest way to go abroad with 3 school age children in 2015?

Options
2»

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    If you don't want/haven't got a tent you can hire a static caravan on a campsite - we much prefer these to hotels as there's the outside space where the kids can play, usually a BBQ, loads of entertainment, often right next to a beach...

Yes, I have friends who do this. It's not my kind of scene but if you are on a tight budget and have a young family it can work out very economical. Always lots of things for the kids to do so the adults can enjoy some relaxing time alone with some vino. My friend's two girls came back speaking pretty good French after a week making friends on a campsite there.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    jog wrote: »
    Have a look at Centre Parcs in Europe, too soon to book for summer 2015 but if you book more than 6 months in advance you'll get 20% off, as well as some free tokens for some activities, or if you book a few weeks before you go you can get some good discounts, they are currently offering 30% off some of their French centres for this years summer holidays.

The Centre Parcs on the continent are much cheaper than UK. This year we are having a week beg August 8th in a 4 bed comfort bungalow in Holland for £900, so even after paying for the ferry and fuel it's still quite a bit cheaper than a UK one and we have the fun of a trip abroad. (A 3 bed lodge at Longleat was £1750 for the same week.)

We love Holland and really enjoy staying there, loads to do on the parc and lovely to explore the areas around the parcs, we hire bikes and make the most of the fantastic cycle paths there.
    Also look at Duinrell if you're considering Holland - theme park and water park onsite, loads written about it here - do a search.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Yes, I have friends who do this. It's not my kind of scene but if you are on a tight budget and have a young family it can work out very economical. Always lots of things for the kids to do so the adults can enjoy some relaxing time alone with some vino. My friend's two girls came back speaking pretty good French after a week making friends on a campsite there.
    Yup - with a young family far better than a hotel and with teenagers particularly a boy and girl who want separate rooms it's far easier & cheaper to get a 3-bad caravan than a 3-bed hotel rooms/apartment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport