what is the cheapest way to go abroad with 3 school age children in 2015?

Options
Hi all, I have been looking at the possibility of taking my 3 kids abroad, first time abroad for all of us except hubby. I have looked at DLP stopping in a hotel outsidevthe park and also looked at eurocamp for Salou in Spain. Can't seem to find a package hol for less than about £2000 on the travel sites icelolly, travel supermarket etc. Any thoughts? X
Mummy to two beautiful girls and one gorgeous boy.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 May 2014 at 9:23AM
    Options
    Where in the UK are you?

Use skyscanner to find Ryanair flights to Gerona or Reus, then search for a mobile home rental on a campsite.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Drive? Could go to DLP then a week or two on the Vendee coast if you don't want to go too far. Late August is usually a lot cheaper than July/early August.
  • spikeybee
    spikeybee Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Book your accommodation, flights and car hire on there own. We have booked a villa own pool, car hire and flights for four for the first two weeks in August for £1750. It in Spain, Valencia region. I would not book a package holiday anymore and have not for about twelve years now.
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's probably a bit early to get a good deal for 2015 just yet.

The low cost airlines won't release their summer 2015 flights until at least the end of this year. Once they do, then take a look at TravelSupermarket and Icelolly again to see what deals are around.

If you want to book now, then there are some decent deals to be found on package holidays. Try Thomas Cook, Thomsons or Holiday Hypermarket and you may be lucky enough to find something in the £2000 range for self catering. (Quick search just pulled up 7nts deals in Corfu, Greece from London airports for around £2050 with Thomas Cook, leaving 24th Jul 2015).

DLP and camping in Spain at that time of year are probably your most expensive options! Try camping in France or Italy instead, or even Croatia as these are usually cheaper than Spain. If you fancy Salou it's usually cheaper to book a 2 bedroom apartment or hire a private apartment/villa at that time of year. Worth looking at holiday-rentals and holidaylettings perhaps, or even James Villas.
    Lea :confused:
  • jog
    jog Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at Centre Parcs in Europe, too soon to book for summer 2015 but if you book more than 6 months in advance you'll get 20% off, as well as some free tokens for some activities, or if you book a few weeks before you go you can get some good discounts, they are currently offering 30% off some of their French centres for this years summer holidays.

The Centre Parcs on the continent are much cheaper than UK. This year we are having a week beg August 8th in a 4 bed comfort bungalow in Holland for £900, so even after paying for the ferry and fuel it's still quite a bit cheaper than a UK one and we have the fun of a trip abroad. (A 3 bed lodge at Longleat was £1750 for the same week.)

We love Holland and really enjoy staying there, loads to do on the parc and lovely to explore the areas around the parcs, we hire bikes and make the most of the fantastic cycle paths there.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    smiler34 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been looking at the possibility of taking my 3 kids abroad, first time abroad for all of us except hubby. I have looked at DLP stopping in a hotel outsidevthe park and also looked at eurocamp for Salou in Spain. Can't seem to find a package hol for less than about £2000 on the travel sites icelolly, travel supermarket etc. Any thoughts? X

You may struggle to get a standard package holiday for one adult and three children as most will be based on 2 adults.

As suggested above, if you want to go "abroad" for the cheapest possible amount then camping is probably your best option. It doesn't suit everyone but it can be done very cheaply.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you do go abroard don't forget to get you FREE EHIC cards AS WELL as travel insurance, you should book your travel ins as soon as you book your holiday.
    Hope you find something nice.
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    For 5 people, a package for £2000 doesn't sound bad to me. Especially in school holiday time.
  • Bigwigg
    Bigwigg Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheapest way to get to DLP would be to drive maybe? I haven't used it myself but a friend swears by the Eurotunnel and says it's a lot cheaper than the ferry.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    You may struggle to get a standard package holiday for one adult and three children as most will be based on 2 adults.

As suggested above, if you want to go "abroad" for the cheapest possible amount then camping is probably your best option. It doesn't suit everyone but it can be done very cheaply.
    If you don't want/haven't got a tent you can hire a static caravan on a campsite - we much prefer these to hotels as there's the outside space where the kids can play, usually a BBQ, loads of entertainment, often right next to a beach...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure