MASSIVE issues with Water Bill (Wrong Name)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
3 replies 1.3K views
sarah240_6sarah240_6 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help, last September our water company stopped taken money from our account. When we rang out they ask to confirm the name on the account, but after I gave my name they advised that it wasnt the name on the account. So i told him my address and he advised still that it wasnt the name and he could only speak to the account holder. We gave everyname in the house and non of them were name on the account. We then started getting letters from the water company for a name we never heard of (was also a mans name and we are an all female household), so we called back the water company they still advised that they could only speak to the name on the account. This is becoming frustrating as the letters are coming, the bill keeps getting more and more but they wont speak to us at all and we have been trying to pay.

Can anyone offer any advise? and what options we have when this is sorted as we have a massive bill that we will not be able to afford in one go, but firstly we need to get the water company to speak to us!

Thanks for you help!

Replies

  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sound as if your a/c details have somehow become corrupted. Stop phoning and write to them setting out the facts. Head it 'complaint; and the ball is then in their court.
    You have presumably not been spending the money that they have failed to take by DD since September, so eventual payment should not be an issue? In the meantime, you are enjoying interest free credit.
    PS: how does having the wrong name on the bill prevent you paying? If you have an a/c no, you can pay a bill by phone, online or by cheque.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • GingerBob_3GingerBob_3 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    Sound as if your a/c details have somehow become corrupted. Stop phoning and write to them setting out the facts. Head it 'complaint; and the ball is then in their court.
    You have presumably not been spending the money that they have failed to take by DD since September, so eventual payment should not be an issue? In the meantime, you are enjoying interest free credit.
    PS: how does having the wrong name on the bill prevent you paying? If you have an a/c no, you can pay a bill by phone, online or by cheque.

    Good advice about writing to them. Get (free) proof of posting.

    As for you "presumably" not having been spending the money, well brilliant if you (the OP) haven't, but I would estimate that 99% of the population don't have such financial discipline. The remaining 1% spend far too much time on this forum.
  • Well i havent, simply because i live in a house share so just get told what the bills are every month, if they werent included in that fgure then i would spend my money. I think we have wrote to them (need to check with my house mate). We also have the problem that people have moved out and new people have moved in.

    That is the problem with paying, it was on a direct debit which suddenly stopped in September and in all fairness the housemate that does the bills didnt notice untill after Christmas. I suppose when something is so regular you dont check whether the payment is still going out.

    The issues of the name arised when we called to find out what happened and because they know we are not the account holder they simply wont speak to us. We have been trying to get this sorted for over 4 months!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals