Car hire for road trip from NYC

Options
Hi everyone, I'm at the early stages of planning next year's road trip. We arrive and depart from JFK in New York. The first 4 nights will be in NY so no need for a car. I've heard that it can be a lot cheaper to hire the car from outside of NY. We plan to head North out to the Hamptons, over to Cape Cod, then out from there.

Is there a good place to arrange to collect the car on this route? If we were going south I heard that a train to Philadelphia and car from there would be good but we're heading the opposite direction.

Will needing to drop the car off at JFK on the last day add to the price by doing a one way hire if we don't collect it from there?

Oh, and one last thing, how to prevent an over excited husband from wanting to hire a Camaro muscle car (arghh!)

Many Thanks

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 May 2014 at 4:47PM
    Options
    White Plains is often recommended for what you're wanting.
    Just under an hour by train from Grand Central Terminal and various car rental places (Hertz?) close to White Plains station with a shuttle bus to others (Avis, Enterprise?) a short ride away :)

Car rental with pick-up and drop-off in different places within the same state doesn't usually occur any extra charges IME

Chances of a Camaro being available are slim, wherever you hire from. Most rentals won't guarantee a specific car anyway :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Chances of a Camaro being available are slim, wherever you hire from. Most rentals won't guarantee a specific car anyway :D

Budget offer a kind of service that may be applicable.
  • jackieblack
    Options
    Budget offer a kind of service that may be applicable.
    shhh! :shhh: :naughty:
    :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've driven a Camaro for a week in Florida, plenty of power, but without the stick shift it's not really a sports car.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll research the location mentioned. I'll also keep very quiet on the Camaro, or push the "you're not guaranteed it" front!

We did a similar trip on the West Coast for our honeymoon 6 years ago, and at the car depot "we" decided to upgrade from a midsize to a huge SUV! It was actually very practical as both suitcases fit flat in the boot, and it became the mobile wardrobe, with us just taking in what we needed each night.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    michele-p wrote: »
    and at the car depot "we" decided to upgrade from a midsize to a huge SUV! It was actually very practical as both suitcases fit flat in the boot, and it became the mobile wardrobe, with us just taking in what we needed each night.

we got a Chevy Suburban last year, which totally spoilt us !
  • jackieblack
    edited 30 May 2014 at 3:29PM
    Options
    we got a Chevy Suburban last year, which totally spoilt us !

Bloomin' 'eck Murphy! I know you like a big car but that's enormous! (Or was that needed to accommodate Mrs The_Cat's shopping? :D)

What sort of mpg did you get? About 15? :rotfl:
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    I've driven a Camaro for a week in Florida, plenty of power, but without the stick shift it's not really a sports car.

Yeah, I drove one for three weeks in Florida...it's good fun and feels very different...but not exactly sporty, especially with the speed limits over there. I grew to love tolls- the only time you could actually accelerate a little.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    edited 3 June 2014 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Bloomin' 'eck Murphy! I know you like a big car but that's enormous! (Or was that needed to accommodate Mrs The_Cat's shopping? :D)

What sort of mpg did you get? About 15? :rotfl:

Overall, we got 20mpg, which considering it was a 5.3lt V8 wasn't to bad.

The deal was to return it with an empty tank, so I'll print the photographic proof of how low I did manage to get it at one point !

IMG_3182.jpg

However, it did feature remote start, that meant that we could start the engine from 100 mts away and get the climate control going - in Death Valley, that was priceless :beer:

Murph

p.s. the best we could get out of it when the thermometer was showing 126 deg was 82 mph -- it was absolutely gasping;)
  • costlessrentacar
    Options
    michele-p wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm at the early stages of planning next year's road trip. We arrive and depart from JFK in New York. The first 4 nights will be in NY so no need for a car. I've heard that it can be a lot cheaper to hire the car from outside of NY. We plan to head North out to the Hamptons, over to Cape Cod, then out from there.

Is there a good place to arrange to collect the car on this route? If we were going south I heard that a train to Philadelphia and car from there would be good but we're heading the opposite direction.

Will needing to drop the car off at JFK on the last day add to the price by doing a one way hire if we don't collect it from there?

Oh, and one last thing, how to prevent an over excited husband from wanting to hire a Camaro muscle car (arghh!)

Many Thanks

Yes, outside of NY you would get cheapest rent a car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure