AMOMA.COM - anyone used before?

Options

Comments

• dwdw1
    Options
    STAY AWAY!!! made a booking yesterday - tried to change the dates less than 24 hrs later for a holiday 8 months away and was charged £40 -purely a rip off - no justification - i cancelled the booking completely rather than give this unscrupulous company any more money! STAY AWAY
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    dwdw1 wrote: »
    STAY AWAY!!! made a booking yesterday - tried to change the dates less than 24 hrs later for a holiday 8 months away and was charged £40 -purely a rip off - no justification - i cancelled the booking completely rather than give this unscrupulous company any more money! STAY AWAY

You should have been aware of that. Cancellation terms & conditions are clearly displayed on every booking with them on an individual basis.

I always try and book with operators who don't charge cancellation fees. Might have to pay a bit more but I think worth it just incase I need to cancel.
  • Traparkinsa
    Options
    They phoned me back and apologised for their mistake- an IT glitch. They then proceeded to tell me that the room I'd booked was not available. I was annoyed but they offered to find me alternative accommodation. The next day I received a call to offer a room in La Collina Hotel and was asked to reply by email to let them know if they could proceed with the booking. After about 30 minutes I sent an email to say that I would like the room. I heard nothing back all day and in the evening I called them. I was told that the room was unavailable. I was astounded and was told that I could have a refund and £150 compensation. I said I wasn't happy with this as l just wanted a suitable alternative as my sister had already booked accommodation through another company. Looking on other websites I could see that the limited accommodation available was more expensive than the refund + compensation that Amoma were offering. Amoma said they would look again & call me back in 30 mins. Eventually I received a call after an hour but the caller hung up before I had time to answer. When I called them again they said they'd called me by mistake. They put me on hold & eventually an adviser offered me inferior accommodation (a lower class hotel), further away from where we'd originally booked or a refund + £200 (still not enough to book a suitable alternative). I asked to speak to a manager but was told that no one was available & that someone would call me the next day. I had to call them back the following day and was put through to an extremely rude person, who didn't apologise for what had happened- the misleading hotel pictures, poor customer service etc, she raised her voice and didn't allow me to finish what I was saying. The upshot was that they couldn't offer me any alternative accommodation and could only compensate me with a refund for the hotel I'd booked and £200 compensation, which wasn't enough to book similar accommodation in Saas Fee. I decided to accept the offer as I felt exhausted and extremely stressed and thought it was the best I would get from this shoddy organisation. I have now managed to book suitable accommodation independently, albeit at a higher price than I would have liked. As I managed to do this, why couldn't a supposedly expert travel organisation do so. In summary just AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
  • Traparkinsa
    Options
    I have just had a very stressful experience with AMOMA.
    I booked Hotel Carpe Diem in Saas Fee and immediately received confirmation including a hotel voucher.
    I proceeded to book flights & transfers.
    3 days later I was looking at pictures of hotel Carpe Diem & realised that the pictures on Amoma were different from the ones on TripAdvisor.
    I contacted Amoma who said they would look into it.
    They phoned me back and apologised for their mistake- an IT glitch. They then proceeded to tell me that the room I'd booked was not available. I was annoyed but they offered to find me alternative accommodation. The next day I received a call to offer a room in La Collina Hotel and was asked to reply by email to let them know if they could proceed with the booking. After about 30 minutes I sent an email to say that I would like the room. I heard nothing back all day and in the evening I called them. I was told that the room was unavailable. I was astounded and was told that I could have a refund and £150 compensation. I said I wasn't happy with this as l just wanted a suitable alternative as my sister had already booked accommodation through another company. Looking on other websites I could see that the limited accommodation available was more expensive than the refund + compensation that Amoma were offering. Amoma said they would look again & call me back in 30 mins. Eventually I received a call after an hour but the caller hung up before I had time to answer. When I called them again they said they'd called me by mistake. They put me on hold & eventually an adviser offered me inferior accommodation (a lower class hotel), further away from where we'd originally booked or a refund + £200 (still not enough to book a suitable alternative). I asked to speak to a manager but was told that no one was available & that someone would call me the next day. I had to call them back the following day and was put through to an extremely rude person, who didn't apologise for what had happened- the misleading hotel pictures, poor customer service etc, she raised her voice and didn't allow me to finish what I was saying. The upshot was that they couldn't offer me any alternative accommodation and could only compensate me with a refund for the hotel I'd booked and £200 compensation, which wasn't enough to book similar accommodation in Saas Fee. I decided to accept the offer as I felt exhausted and extremely stressed and thought it was the best I would get from this shoddy organisation. I have now managed to book suitable accommodation independently, albeit at a higher price than I would have liked. As I managed to do this, why couldn't a supposedly expert travel organisation do so. In summary just AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
  • howlsatthemoon
    Options
    Just an update.

Everything went smoothly no problems with my booking, went to pay local tax for stay and found out it was already included in the price I had paid.

Would have no hesitation in using Amoma again.
  • Hlyons1
    Options
    I would it recommend Amoma!

Basically, when I tried to book a room with them they said that it wasn't available and I wouldn't be charged. However the funds were taken from my account on a 'preauthorisation'. I didn't know this so made an alternative booking elsewhere - found out the following day the funds were gone on my account. I couldn't pay for my lunch & incurred an overdrawn fee on my account! Amoma offered me no apologies just simply insisted they hadn't taken the funds. This has totally ruined my Easter weekend whilst I wait for the bank to fix the problem.
  • krmach
    krmach Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 1 May 2016 at 1:21PM
    Options
    I want to share my experience with Amoma to hopefully balance off the negative reviews that were pouring in about the company.

I booked this morning for an overnight room at Fairmont St Andrews and as soon as I paid with my debit card, I received a message saying 'Error in Booking' and that it cannot be confirmed if my reservation has gone through or not. I contacted Amoma using their UK number 020 3608 8169 three times but couldn't get past the recorded music. I was certainly worried and decided to phone my card company.

I was told the money has gone through and they couldn't stop it, my best bet is to call Amoma and sort it out with them. I was getting upset and it didn't help that I've read a lot of negative reviews about their experience with Amoma. I left a message in their Facebook account and sent an email to their customer service.

Around 10.30 I received a missed call from them so I phoned back. The staff I talked to was Dante and he was very helpful. He said the booking went through and he upgraded my room into a double deluxe at the price I initially paid. When I mentioned that I had a difficult time contacting them he said that on Saturdays and Sundays their opening hours start at 10.00 UK time. I told him it would be helpful if this was indicated in their website. So everything was sorted and I'm happy.

I checked my email afterwards and found a message from Amoma with a proposal in pdf attached, it was for the same deluxe room but £10 cheaper than what I paid already. So I replied to the email and asked if they can reduce the amount they charged me initially since there was an offer for a lesser rate. I received a phone call later from Caroline saying that they would refund me with the difference in price. I'm very pleased with how Amoma handled my issues and I look forward to a relaxing stay at the Fairmont. There are a few glitches that need to be sorted (contact hours for instance) but the staff were helpful and I got the hotel room for a very good rate.
  • Wesker56
    Options
    Guide on How Amoma.com works and how you can get the most of it.

First off, this is a 3rd party site, it is at the mercy of providers that I will call out in a bit.
    Here you will understand how they work and when you call them how to interact and understand how they maneuver.
    Like I previously said, they are 3rd party, they work with providers, not with the hotels. The list of providers as t is:
    Tourico
    Exclusively
    Miki
    Jumbo
    SpecialTours
    GuestIncoming
    Hotelbeds
    Hoteldo
    GTA
    MTS
    Sunhotels
    Italcamel
    DOTW
    Mondialtravel
    Bonotels
    Serhs
    HotelsPro
    Sidetours
    Travco
    Hoojoozat
    Abreu
    Eurotours
    AOT
    AIC Swiss
    JacTracel
    Welcomebeds

These are most of them but not all. What this means is that Amoma gets these offers from these providers and not the hotel and ADDS a percentage as a profit on them. I managed to get this from an agent, they call this added percentage “Markup”.So It is most of the times cheaper to check with these providers on their site than with Amoma.com
    The policy they enforce on you on a booking is most of the times not the same as the on the provider site. It might be non refundable or a refund with a tax fee on their end but it can be free of charge on the provider site.
    They will lie to you about this, just as they lie that they can't see the provider, they can, it's in their system, that's how they know who to contact. They can also see your card details and they have them stored.
    What they will usually do is say that as an act of commercial gesture give you a free of charge cancel or modification when in fact they don't lose a dime in the process.
    Here is how to handle them when booking or trying to cancel/modify your booking:

Ask who is the provider and confirm you know they can see them, start asking them the providers from the list.
    Ask them what is the mark up on their end to see how much of a profit amoma is making. With this you can negotiate and get at a cheaper price, the agent will usually put you on hold and see with the supervisor on the shift. They will calculate by hand and sometimes scam you into thinking you are getting 10% but in fact they will give you 5-6%.Calculate as well on your end.
    If you need to cancel or modify again, state that you know they can see the providers in their System and list them. State you will contact them directly as some providers like GTA or Hotelbeds have free of charge cancel policy if the booking is made in less than 2 hours. Advise you want to speak to the manager.
    If they resist state that you will complain on your social media Amoma.com is a pushover, they are afraid of bad publicity. This is the main reason they changed their name. Amoma was Oleteles but changed so they can have a clean record.
    They are understaffed and fire loads of employees, many of them are brand new each month, take this into advantage, ask the agent how long have they been working.
    Insist on calls instead of emails.
    And whatever you do don't back down, keep going on to your point, they will do as you say eventually because they are afraid of losing clients and bad publicity.
    This Is for a good reason, many offers amoma does are crooked by nature and some don't even confirm to the hotel. There are many cases where people had to pay at the reception because the booking was non existent.
    Amoma is not to be trusted, it's best used as a site to find a hotel and best if you call the hotel directly.
    And best not add your payment deteails, theya re also known to be racist. They send to certain people in certain regions 3 Secured payment links because they think that some regions are filled with thief and frauds.
  • Audre555
    Options
    Hi,

I had a bad experience with Amoma.com too.
    Some how the date was changed but I noticed it straight after booking when I checked my confirmation e-mail. I rang Amoma.com straight away and asked them to cancel the booking as there is an error with a date. Amoma said that they can cancel with full charges and if I would like to get a refund I would have to speak with the hotel. I've been told to reply to their e-mail saying that I agree with cancellation charges and I did. Then I rang a hotel and hotel said that they can't see any booking with my name or cancellation.
    It's been a week now how I'm dealing with Amoma.com. to get my money back, but they constantly lying. They are saying that hotel has already invoiced them. Then I asked a hotel manager to send me and Amoma aconfirmation e-mail, that no invoicing happened and that hotel haven't had any booking or charges on my name. After this, Amoma.com rang me and promised to do something. will see how it will end. I won't use Amoma.com ever again
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,053 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I booked with Amoma.com with no problem. They had a hotel in Copenhagen cheaper than any other site. No problem at all.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure