Transfer Test AQE 2014-2015

Options

Comments

• Veggie_Northern_Ireland
    Options
    Hi warmhands.coldheart, I see what you mean about the idea of children being tutored to pass and then struggling in a grammar.. But most tutors are only for 1-2 hours per week, to me a tutor provides extra support and helps children to develop a deeper knowledge of maths and English before moving up to grammar/secondary. Sometimes a tutor may be necessary if a school is failing to help children reach their potential or chooses to go against the aqe and offers no support. Also not all parents or families are able to help their children at home, may it be because they work full time, other children at home or possibly because they themselves would struggle with working through the papers and explaining mistakes etc.

I know with my sister, regardless of the work does in school etc, I do 2 practice papers a week at home with her and after marking them, I go through them with her and look at what she got wrong and how she can do it right.

Something I'm curious about is if there are many parents out there that leave it to fate... And let their children do the aqe without preparing them with practice papers at home etc... I wonder if many children have passed without lots of practice work beforehand
    :hello: Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends:EasterBun
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    It's funny Vegie... because as you mention "Fate".
    I have one cousin who passed his 11+ and went on to do OK at A levels at a grammar then went onto Uni...,
    I also have a cousin who didn't pass, parents paid to get them into said grammar and they struggled the whole way through completely flunking in their A-Levels and went on to a Poly/Uni in the times when poly's were "changing" over to self proclaimed Uni status.....

One is now working for a global engineering company and is on £45,000+ per year ..... and one isn't.... guess which... ???

I also know for a fact, 2 of the top 3 performing pupils of my year in A-Levels (All girls might I add) are all now full time "home-makers" for want of abetter term..... not saying there's anything wrong with that, but as you say... fate, it's a funny old thing !!!
    Options
    Unfortunately close to us there is pretty much only two secondary school choices, one integrated which is supposedly rife with terrible bullying and I know of quite a few 1st years who were pulled out and put into other schools... and an all girls school which unfortunately due to a bad catchment area many of the pupils leave before finishing or with very few gcses/ a levels and mainly go on to be 'home makes' as you put it :) (of course I can't say this about all of the pupils and many do very well and go to uni but unfortunately the experience is ruined for many by the bad behaviour of the others)

Having experienced the local all girls school, I see the grammars as the best option (plus she has always done pretty well in school).

As much as I see the importance of hard work and good grades in grammars, I like the better work ethic (yes I know we can't stereotype all schools) and the opportunities for competitive sport etc.
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    ...... I like the better work ethic (yes I know we can't stereotype all schools) and the opportunities for competitive sport etc.

What???? Competitive Sport !!!!!!!! You mean it's not the "Taking part that counts" ????? Shouldn't everyone get a medal for taking part !?!?!?!? :D
    Options
    HaHa you made me laugh when I read your reply this morning... I think we've got a bit off topic from support during the AQE :j But yes, while it's important that everyone is acknowledged for taking part... I think a competitive option is important :T
  • attritioner
    attritioner Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone any links to (free) practice material and tests for both examination types?

I already have the BT tests from earlier this year.
    Options
    Has anyone any links to (free) practice material and tests for both examination types?

I already have the BT tests from earlier this year.

Hi attritioner, I haven't been able to find any free AQE practice papers online, just one practice paper on the AQE website that you can print.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options to get papers that are laid out similarly to the official papers.
    Options
    Does anyone know when they will officially publish this years lowest scores that the grammars accepted?
  • flymetothemoon_2
    Options
    Well it's now officially the summer holidays and schools have been off for a week or so :shocked: How is everyone finding it starting their summer AQE preparation?

My son is so ecstatic to be off school for the summer hols that I have decided to do no work for a few weeks just to give him a break so we have done nothing so far. Having said that, it's on my mind every day and we will start this week but then we're off on hols for a fortnight so when we return it'll be hard work for the 3 or 4 weeks before school resumes. I am conscious of his young age too, he is not yet 10.5yrs old. Hope I'm doing the right thing - its just that I know the pressure they'll be under from Sept to Nov doing 2 tests/wk in school as my daughter did AQE a few yrs ago so trying not to put him under too much pressure too soon.
  • flymetothemoon_2
    Options
    Does anyone know when they will officially publish this years lowest scores that the grammars accepted?

Hi Veggie NI - I'm wondering the same thing - have seen a few of the 'lowest scores accepted' posted on forums but it is not clear as to whether these are accurate or just what people have heard? I'm keen to know the actual lowest score accepted by Ballyclare High, Belfast High, BRA and RBAI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure