Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Our dd's first xmas she was 5 months old, she recieved 72 presents in total :eek: I think you are being sensible!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    We gave miniOCC a few token gifts first Christmas and saved the rest and told everyone to do the same. He knew no better and played with the wrapping paper (when I say played, he ate it!) he was only 2 months though, on his second Christmas he was very poorly and was in hospital for a week. Presents didn't seem that important then either.

I know you are in pain but be careful on the co-codamol it's very addictive and it's horrible to come off. I've seen someone go through it and it's really not nice so be careful. They got addicted via back pain to start off with. Just be careful anyway.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments re. DD's first Christmas all, it's nice to get a bit of confirmation bias that we're doing the 'right' thing :santa2:
    I know you are in pain but be careful on the co-codamol it's very addictive and it's horrible to come off. I've seen someone go through it and it's really not nice so be careful. They got addicted via back pain to start off with. Just be careful anyway.

Thanks OCC. I have been wary from the outset because the weakest OTC form of co-codamol comes with warnings not to take it for more than 3 days, but my doctor seemed happy enough to prescribe me 100 of the next strength up! :eek:

I have dropped to only taking it once a day (directly before bed) and this seems to be working, just taking ibuprofen during the day.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Our dd's first xmas she was 5 months old, she recieved 72 presents in total :eek: I think you are being sensible!

My son was only circa 6 weeks old, we got him absolutely nothing being the terrible parents we are. :o Wife did make a ridiculous snowman outfit for him to wear, she really wasn't too well at the time so it wasn't her best work but it's one of the only photos we've got of him as a baby (we don't take many). Going to show that one at his wedding! :D
    Thanks for all the comments re. DD's first Christmas all, it's nice to get a bit of confirmation bias that we're doing the 'right' thing :santa2:

Thanks OCC. I have been wary from the outset because the weakest OTC form of co-codamol comes with warnings not to take it for more than 3 days, but my doctor seemed happy enough to prescribe me 100 of the next strength up! :eek:

I have dropped to only taking it once a day (directly before bed) and this seems to be working, just taking ibuprofen during the day.

Definitely doing the right thing IMHO. :)

In my experience doctors are very often happy to hand out the drugs without providing any real solutions, only later wondering why some have difficulty coming off them.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Money noos:
    • £306.51 to Funding C1rcle
    • Bought quite a few loan parts at 12%+
    • CB received, added a few £s to DD's pocket money. On that note, am I the only person who sets aside money for their kids every month, adds occasional gifts when they're feeling flush and still feels guilty at receiving 'their' Child Benefit? :o

P2P now £3,617.90 at a blended rate of 6.66% after tax. Tempted to do a monthly 'income' update a la any blog about dividend stocks ever, but even at high yield, the amount is very low as I'm new to P2P for income.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,963 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just catching up. Sounds like a different osteopath needed. Or a chiropractor. Or a bowen therapist. If one thing worked - they would all do that! Hated osteopathy myself till a few years ago when I found an amazing Jewish Rabbi who just happened to be an osteopath too but with a very different training from anyone I'd seen before. Totally credit him with a functioning left arm after NHS said that it would never work properly again.
    Sometimes wish my doc would hand out co-codamol. Seems to have read the leaflets on all drugs and strictly regulates :rotfl:
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • edinburgher
    Options
    I would be unlikely to approach another osteopath after my first experience. I think pain regulation, gentle exercise and allowing my body to repair itself will be the way to go. Although I am intrigued by the concept of a rabbosteopath :D
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    Money noos:
    • £306.51 to Funding C1rcle
    • Bought quite a few loan parts at 12%+
    • CB received, added a few £s to DD's pocket money. On that note, am I the only person who sets aside money for their kids every month, adds occasional gifts when they're feeling flush and still feels guilty at receiving 'their' Child Benefit? :o

P2P now £3,617.90 at a blended rate of 6.66% after tax. Tempted to do a monthly 'income' update a la any blog about dividend stocks ever, but even at high yield, the amount is very low as I'm new to P2P for income.

I put £100 a month into an account for miniocc which is child benefit, topped up by myself. Have done this since he was born, he is now 7. Birthday/christmas money has gone into here too. He has a tidy 5 figure bank account already. If for any reason I wasnt able to do it I would stop. Whatever you do adds up and will give them a good start.

Just to stop any feedback about spoiling kids, he has no idea about this money and wont have. If he is a little br*t when hes 15 I will put it in a fixed account for the longest period possible (at least 5 years) whilst I still have control over it and hopefully he will have grown out of it by the time he can get his paws on it!
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [*]CB received, added a few £s to DD's pocket money. On that note, am I the only person who sets aside money for their kids every month, adds occasional gifts when they're feeling flush and still feels guilty at receiving 'their' Child Benefit? :o

No, you're not alone.

Here's something you said to me (although you just had a bump not a baby then!)
    Child Benefit isn't intended to be a trust fund for your child, but to help with the costs of raising him ;)
  • edinburgher
    Options
    I have a slightly more convoluted system, but the net effect should be similar. DD gets £2/year of age/week + any presents, random £1s from strangers (happens quite often in Glasgow!) + a share in any matched betting windfalls. Hopeful that it will be around £20k by the time she reaches majority, although most of it remains in our names for the reason that you stated.

I think that we do 'need' CB, as we have averaged c. £170/m on DD since she was born.
    Originally Posted by edinburgher View Post
    Child Benefit isn't intended to be a trust fund for your child, but to help with the costs of raising him

Zinged myself! What tops advice :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport