Double glazing units failed

Options
We had some double glazed windows fitted across the back of our house 6years ago now.

Since about a year ago no 1 by 1 the double glazed units have failed i.e. the seal between the glass has failed causing condensation between the units.
This is now evident in 4 of the 7 units of glass.

We complained to the FENSA registered fitter who pointed out we only had 5 years on the glass units and 10 on the frames.
They are enquiring about the glass units but it seems the manufacturer has gone into liquidation.

5 years for £10k's worth of windows with over half the units failing isn't good.

What responsibility do they have to resolve this? What is classed as fit for purpose under consumer act? 2 Of the windows clearly demonstrate poor fitting which may of added to the accelerated failure of the units.

Your thoughts appreciated as I'm not keen on paying again for what should of lasted considerably longer.

Comments

• leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    Are the windows Upvc or Timber?.......Generally speaking in Timber windows the warranty will be 5 years ,sometimes only 2 years if they are very slim units with a low profile spacer bar.

If they are in Upvc I usually see a 10yr warranty.. Whichever it is you will be solely reliant on the manufacturers warranty. I may be wrong but I think the statutory warranty is only 12 months, 24 if you can prove a design fault.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 April 2014 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Upvc but does that cover the glass units also? Rehau supplied the frames but it wasn't their fault, I'm sure the glass units were sourced locally, ok more local than Rehau's factory.
  • leveller2911
    Options
    troutman wrote: »
    Upvc but does that cover the glass units also?

Most companies will have warranty details showing how long for each. If the glass units have failed and the manufacturer has gone pop unless you have an insurance back warranty you will have to pay for the glass units to be replaced.

Some warranties will be 10-20 years for the frames and 2-10 years for the glass units. Each company sets out the terms of their warranty.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, you have a statutory right to seek a remedy from whoever sold the goods to you for up to six years.

Read MSE's Consumer Rights guide for details.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sure but MSE says "You have up to six years after you bought a good to complain." not sure what that means...
  • wealdroam
    Options
    Sure but MSE says "You have up to six years after you bought a good to complain." not sure what that means...

Well, like I posted before, it means that you have up to six years from the date of sale to seek a remedy from whoever sold the stuff to you.
    That's if you are in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If you are in Scotland, it is five years from discovery of the problem.

Please rephrase your question if it is still not clear.
  • leveller2911
    edited 30 April 2014 at 10:00PM
    Options

I think you will find anything past 24 months the onus is on you to prove (possibly in court) there was an inherent design fault. You can't just say after 5 years and 11 months of use my glass units have failed so I want them replaced FOC.

Did you receive an insurance backed warranty when you paid for the windows? If you did then it will say how long the manufacturer warrants the product for, if you didn't and your windows are nearly 6 yrs old then you are flogging a dead horse.

Sorry to say........
  • wealdroam
    Options
    I think you will find anything past 24 months the onus is on you to prove (possibly in court) there was an inherent design fault.
    I think you'll find that after six months the onus is on the consumer to prove that the goods are inherently faulty.

That too is mentioned in MSE's Consumer Rights guide.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    Options
    OP,

While it is disappointing that they have not lasted more than 6 years that is still a reasonable time if they only had a 5 year warranty in the first place. Maybe they were lower quality than others that your supplier could have sourced? The fact they have gone out of business means that you have no way to enforce any claim that they were not fit for purpose.

You have had 5 years wear so just get replacement glass units, individually they are not that expensive compared with the windows new. I had 7 units replaced for about £400 last year and you will get a fresh warranty with them certified by FENSA.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    OP,

While it is disappointing that they have not lasted more than 6 years that is still a reasonable time if they only had a 5 year warranty in the first place. Maybe they were lower quality than others that your supplier could have sourced? The fact they have gone out of business means that you have no way to enforce any claim that they were not fit for purpose.

Do you really think that 6 years is an acceptable time for double glazed units to last? I've never known a single one to fail, on windows that are 15+ years old.

Also, the bit about going out of business only applies to a warranty claim; the OP still has their statutory rights against the retailer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure