compost heap questions and free potatos?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9 replies 1.3K views
ALIBOBSYALIBOBSY Forumite
4.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
OK been growing our own for the past few years and each year have grown more but never got into composting in a big way. We save the clean outs from the chicken coop and let them rot down to use on the beds and often would have a few bits in a dalek type bin, which again would get dug in. So last year I decided to really have a proper go, so saved peelings/stuff from the garden etc, piled u with the so called browns-cardboard/newspaper etc, then after filling the whole bin left it to mature.

Today decided to have a dig and use my new riddle to get any bits out. I am really amazed how good it looks, the stuff in my wheelbarrow looks better than the stuff I have bought in growbags. TBF its probably more like a top soil than a muti purpose compost, but it will be fine for potting stuff up.

Not a job for anyone who has any fear of "mini beasts" though. I really don't like woodlice too much so am using gloves and trying to look at all the crawly things as friends who are making me free compost lol. I am putting any beasties/worms and the bits sieved out into bucket to go back into the bin to make a new base for this years compost. I assume any I missed will crawl out of the wheelbarrow and make their way back to the heap? I am right in thinking all these creatures are a sign it was a good heap?

So to my main question-there also seems to be loads of little potatos that have grown on spindly sprouts from potato peelings, can I eat these, are they safe to eat (obviously we wash first lol).

Ali x
"Overthinking every little thing
Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Replies

• LadyCouponLadyCoupon Forumite
    714 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I have recently got myself a compost bin and have given it a go. I didn't think you were to put potato peelings in the compost bin because of potatoes growing? I could be wrong as I am new to it too, but I have put all other peelings in just not potato.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volunteer potatoes always carry more risk of harbouring potato blight, but as we always seem to get that eventually, it's your call.....:)
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Volunteer potatoes always carry more risk of harbouring potato blight, but as we always seem to get that eventually, it's your call.....:)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a volunteer potato?
    34.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justamum wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a volunteer potato?

I'm tempted to say "One that hasn't been conscripted," but it is any potato grown accidentally from unharvested tubers in last year's crop, or in compost heaps etc. :)
  • ALIBOBSYALIBOBSY Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davesnave wrote: »

I wasn't going to plant them, just eat them so not sure how the blight spores would spread really. I avoid main crop potatos party for space and partly for blight, we rarely get blight as when it starts we are digging up the earlies-maincrop we can get big sacks locally grown for around £3-£4 so not worth it. My toms are in the greenhouse and again we seem to not do too badly for blight, mind you I am careful to water at the roots and pick off an leaves that look slightly "off" straight away just in case.

It was more a case of if they would be safe to eat really.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

34.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »

It was more a case of if they would be safe to eat really.
    Ali x

Can't see why not. A bit of chicken poo isn't going to hurt, especially if filtered through potato roots.

I often get mine direct, strimming the chicken orchard! :eek:

(Yeah, too much information! :rotfl:)
  • Can't say I'd eat potatoes coming from the compost bin but that's just me.

However, as to spuds in the garden when you grow them you'll always miss one or two at harvest time.

The following year they come up.
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would eat them unless they taste bitter. I had a run in once with new potatoes which decided to produce solanine despite not being green - they didn't taste nice!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • valk_scotvalk_scot Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't put potato peelings in the compost bin, they carry all sorts of diseases including potential blight and the average home compost bin won't get nearly hot enough to kill these. So if you then use your home made compost anywhere that you grow tomatoes or potatoes you can pass the blight etc on.

You can eat the ones you grew in the compost bin, I suppose, they might taste a bit odd though. Just don't peel them and then throw the peelings back into the composter....
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals