Tv license after a death

I lost my Mother a few months ago, I live in the same house, and I've now taken over the TV license. On their website they did say the following about what to do when a license holder dies..
If the licence is a Free Over 75 TV Licence

A Free Over 75 TV Licence will remain valid for that year. In the following year the person still residing at the address will have to renew the licence.....If the person still residing at the address will not be over 75 then we just need to know their name. We will send a renewal at the appropriate time.
but when I phoned up to let them know my Mum had died and I'd be taking over the license, I was told that her license runs out at the end of April and I have to pay from 30th April.

I assumed that paragraph meant the end of the year as in December, is it really the financial year in April?

NOTE I copied that paragraph a few weeks ago but I've just been to check and they have now changed it to
The over 75 TV Licence for the current year will continue to cover anybody who was living with the licence holder as part of their household until the TV Licence expires
Oh well. When is it best to pay? The bill they sent says to pay before it expires on April 30th, but am I right in thinking that whenever I pay in the month, I'll need to renew next year at the first of that month because then I'd prefer to leave it till May 1st, can I do that?

Comments

• Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Oh well. When is it best to pay? The bill they sent says to pay before it expires on April 30th, but am I right in thinking that whenever I pay in the month, I'll need to renew next year at the first of that month because then I'd prefer to leave it till May 1st, can I do that?

Sorry for your loss.
    If you are free I would phone and pay on (or after) the 1st May as you suggest.
    If you are just taking over the licence then they will start it from May any way, but why take the gamble they have been known to make mistakes.
  • vic_sf49
    vic_sf49 Posts: 530
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry your mum is gone!

The tv licence runs for one year, from whenever it was purchased; it isn't tied into financial years.

Are you actually going to watch tv as it is being broadcast live, because if not, you don't need a licence for just owning a tv?

You can pay online too, and there are different options for doing so, so have a look to see what suits you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure