We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Windscreen Chip - Why is Repair Free?

Options
anotheruser
anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
I don't really understand this whole "we'll repair for free" and "no claims not affected" for windscreen chips.

Obviously the company will charge someone, so if you have the right cover, your insurance will pay out, which is costing them money. Last I checked, insurance companies hate paying out, so why is this aspect so freely given as a freebie?

Thanks

Comments

• Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    Because it is cheaper for them to pay a repair charge than to pay for a new windscreen at a later date.
  • christineperseus
    Options
    I'm with Direct Line - it costs £10 for repair and counts as a claim!!!!
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only ever had 1 chip repair, was told it's "Liquid glass" When I said there is no such substance he admitted it's silicone. It lasted about 3 weeks. there was no charge to me but presumably the insurance companies pay because it's cheaper than a windscreen.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    I don't really understand this whole "we'll repair for free" and "no claims not affected" for windscreen chips.

Obviously the company will charge someone, so if you have the right cover, your insurance will pay out, which is costing them money. Last I checked, insurance companies hate paying out, so why is this aspect so freely given as a freebie?

Thanks

Almost all chips will eventually turn into cracks unless repaired, and chip repairs have a very high permanent success rate. With a repair costing the insurance company £40-£50 (I think) and a replacement windscreen potentially costing several hundred pounds (especially for cars with heated screens etc.) it makes a lot of sense for insurers to save money in the long run by repairing chips early on.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Also with Direct Line. They claim it doesn't affect your NCD, however when I phoned up for a renewal, they asked if I had any claims in the last 5 years, I said about the accident I had, and then they turned round and said "oh yes, and you also have a windscreen claim".

In my opinion, it's worth looking locally for repair garages etc or even using your own kit.
  • anotheruser
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I don't particularly plan to stay with the AA (my current insurance company) unless they offer something great so if they count it as a claim internally, it won't get added to my list - but I will make doubly sure on that one.

My chip is only small, and I suspect they wouldn't be able to repair it at all but it's a heated screen so would be a little worried using it come winter time.

WINTER IS COMING!
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    bryanb wrote: »
    Only ever had 1 chip repair, was told it's "Liquid glass" When I said there is no such substance he admitted it's silicone. It lasted about 3 weeks. there was no charge to me but presumably the insurance companies pay because it's cheaper than a windscreen.

It should be a UV cured resin - if they used silicone I'm not surprised it only lasted 3 weeks! I had 2 large chips repaired in my last company car - although they were about the maximum size that could be repaired by resin injection the repair was almost invisible and lasted 3 years/120K before I replaced the car.
  • anotheruser
    Options
    See this is where I get a little confused.
    THIS USER says it will count as a claim, which I am not so sure about.
    I appreciate each company is different but if it's going to count as a claim, you may as well get a replacement, which isn't ideal for all parties involved.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,487 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    See this is where I get a little confused.
    THIS USER says it will count as a claim, which I am not so sure about.
    I appreciate each company is different but if it's going to count as a claim, you may as well get a replacement, which isn't ideal for all parties involved.

I would have thought they may well register it as a claim against your policy, but not necessarily weight your insurance against you because of it.

I £50 windscreen claim is clearly not going to have the same impact as ploughing into another car blind drunk and causing £20,000 of damage.

However, i would have thought if you claimed regularly off your insurance for a new windscreen - say every six months regularly for several years - then they would be entitled to weight your insurance based on the fact that you must be driving on roads that cause regular damage to your windscreen.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It does count as a claim but that doesnt mean it effects either NCD or Premium. Most exclude glass claims explicitly from effecting NCD, a tiny number of insurers say you wont earn a years NCD in the year of a glass claim but you dont lose any either.

I "forgot" to declare a glass repair claim when switching insurers last year, remembered before the policy incepted, called the new insurer and they added it without any increase in premiums etc.

You dont get a choice over repair or replace. The glass companies have guidelines and must stick to them. If it can be repaired safely then thats what will happen, if it cannot be it'll be replaced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure