Fruit bushes/canes in Wilkinsons?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
20 replies 2.4K views
Kevie192Kevie192 Forumite
1.1K Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi all,

After a little bit of advice. I am a complete gardening novice so apologise in advance if I say anything stupid!

We have a spare raised bed and I would like to turn it into a fruit/veg section. We love raspberries so I was looking in Wilkinsons today and saw some in there. 3 canes in a pot for £4.50.

Are these going to be any good or just a waste of time? How many will I need to get a half decent crop in future years? Was thinking of perhaps two pots of an early variety and two of a late but not if only 2 will mean a tiny crop twice a year!

I would also like to put a few strawberry plants, a couple of rhubarb crowns and potentially some gooseberry bushes I also saw in Wilkinsons. Can you foresee any problems with this?

Thanks for any help you can give :)

Kevin

Replies

• wallbashwallbash
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started with six canes three years ago, Autumn Bliss, They soon multiply.
    Mine have grown very quickly in the past three weeks, so don't delay.

How big is the raised bed,you are a little ambitious space wise.
    Rhubarb will grow anywhere
  • Kevie192Kevie192 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so two of each sounds ok then... I think the bed is about 1.5m x 1m or something similar. I can ditch the rhubarb out of there and put it somewhere else, that's not a problem.

My idea was to put the canes across the back against the fence, the strawberries along the front (perhaps encourage them to trail?!) and the gooseberries in the middle somewhere, though thinking about it the spines on them might stop me getting to the raspberries... Hmm...

Kevin
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As wallbash says, raspberries rapidly increase, beware though of mixing them, they will soon become a thicket & you will have problems knowing which are which

Rhubarb, again, any where

Goosegogs, easy really

I would forget the strawberries, sounds nice & tasty but for such a short season, and limited space, concentrate or what is expensive to buy, due to labour cost but easy to grow

Raspberries & gooseberries, and oddly enough, rhubarb fit this well
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Farway. Would you recommend anything instead of strawberries or just keep to those 3 things for now?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raspberries have spines as well, and there are thornless gooseberry varieties.

I have raspberries at back of gooseberry bush, the heights are different so picking rasps easy over top of gooseberry

But Gooseberry bushes can get large over the years
  • wallbashwallbash
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raspberries have the height, but I have a single row of strawberries along the front, otherwise the space is wasted. Don't forget some support for the canes, they say Autumn Bliss is self supporting , but mine always seem to lean over. Get the support sorted before planting the canes,
    Mine is 6 solid posts , supporting three rows of wire.

Another suggesting , I'm growing Red Currants, a Boysenberry and a Tay Berry this year.

ps don't like gooseberries
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know how soon to worry about their Loganberry? Got one, soaked & unwrapped & planted - no sign of life yet. (Aldi fruit bushes more expensive (2.99!) but at least come with leaves so you can see if theyre coping with the transition.

If you want a harvest of berries, you may be advised to invest in a net at some stage. Your local poundshop has these as well as Wilkos & suppliers...
  • wallbashwallbash
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't panic yet, my fruit canes were planted last November and its only in the last three weeks have I seen some growth......but its a lot of growth in a short space of time.
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I bought the plants and have planted them but I am worried I planted the gooseberries too close to the raspberries. What do you think? Do I need to do anything to remedy it?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had lots of various fruit bushes from the £shop and they're all doing well. I even took cuttings last Autumn and was going to give them away now they've started to grow on Freecycle.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals