No bill from nPower for last 15 months

Options
abc123456
abc123456 Posts: 352 Forumite
Title is what it says...my fault for joining nPower, simply the worst company I have ever dealt with in my 50+ years on this earth!

I joined nPower in January 2013 for dual fuel. I have religiously phoned in my meter readings every couple of months as well as inputting them online at the same time. The readings are indicated on my online account.

When I joined, I was to pay £80 per month for the dual fuel. After the first month, I noticed nPower had not taken the Direct Debit. I called them and they said that it was in the process of being set up. 6 months later I received a letter to say that the Direct Debit was commencing and due to the delay in them setting up the DD, my monthly payment would be £134.

This amount has been taken every month for the last 11 months, so I have built up a healthy credit of just under £1500, but no bill.

Over the past year and a bit, I have called nPower and emailed them numerous times to complain that I have not received a bill. All they can say is that they have no information as to what is wrong. On one occasion, I asked to speak to a supervisor who told me that she would raise a complaint on my behalf.

This "complaint" has been ongoing the last 6 months. I cannot call nPower about it as there are always queues of 45 minutes or more. I recently received a letter from nPower saying that they are unable to resolve my complaint (ie send me a bill !) and that I can contact the Ombudsman.

My contract with nPower ends on 30th April and naturally, I wish to switch at the earliest opportunity. I am just curious to know if nPower can stop the switching process because I would be due them 15 months of dual fuel costs, despite the fact that they cant/wont give me a bill and help me move on from this absolutely ridiculous, inept..(the list can go on!) company !

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cancel your Direct Debit with them?
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • abc123456
    Options
    Cancel your Direct Debit with them?

Would that not cause a problem when they do eventually bill me and I am due a credit. How can they put that back in my bank account?
  • Maz
    Maz Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A friend of mine is having the same problem but with a different supplier. Last bill she received was 14 months ago! I'll be interested to see how you get this resolved, seems ridiculous that a simple request like this can't be fulfilled!
    'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
  • abc123456
    Options
    I was having a look at the Cheap Energy Club part of this website and for comparison purposes, I have been put on nPower`s Standard tariff as my present tariff expires 30th April, with £60 early exit fees.

Would it be safe to start the switching process now (ie 3 days before end of tariff time) without incurring an early exit fee. I see there is nothing mentioned on the Cheap Energy Club page that this may/may not be a possibility.
  • MK55
    MK55 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    yes definitely, you'll get a minimum 7 days cooling off and transfer will take up to 5 weeks so you won't switch until end of may time
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 April 2014 at 12:57PM
    Options
    abc123456 wrote: »
    I was having a look at the Cheap Energy Club part of this website and for comparison purposes, I have been put on nPower`s Standard tariff as my present tariff expires 30th April, with £60 early exit fees.

Would it be safe to start the switching process now (ie 3 days before end of tariff time) without incurring an early exit fee. I see there is nothing mentioned on the Cheap Energy Club page that this may/may not be a possibility.

Yes, switch asap - if your new supplier let npower know about the switch within 20 working days after 30th April then you won't be switched to the standard tariff at all, you should continue to be charged on your current/old tariff until the switch date (which should be around the end of May or early June). All this would have been detailed on the letter npower should have sent you a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing didn't.
  • abc123456
    Options
    All this would have been detailed on the letter npower should have sent you a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing didn't.

What?...nPower send accurate information, on time? :(

Seriously, thank you very much for that. I will switch right now !:j
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    I had a similar thing with EDF several years back. I had paid in £1400 by DD and never got a bill - despite sending in several meter readings.

I wrote a letter to them (rec delivery) pointing out (VERY sarcastically !) that if they didn't want my money I would have paid it into the Building Society and got few pennies interest on it.
    They paid me £50 for the "aggro" and 8% on the £100 a month they had taken off me !

I had been reading my meter so the DD was actually about correct anyway ! I did move on once they had paid me :D
  • Danosaur
    Danosaur Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am just about to confront Npower tomorrow with the same problem.
    I have over £1000 credit. I pay £135 a month which should now be reduced according to my usage data, but they are hardly likely to do that.
    I checked my bill and everything was ok a couple of weeks back, but I noted that my bill was just over £400 which is way less than last year because of a major energy saving drive.
    I go back on there this week and my bill has disappeared and my next one is due in October, a full year after my last one.
    I have now saved all my data from their website and am going on the warpath.
    They shouldn't get away with this kind of mismanagement of customers money. I will get rid of them as soon as I don't have to pay any fees and will never go back with them :mad:
  • abc123456
    Options
    Danosaur wrote: »
    I am just about to confront Npower tomorrow with the same problem.
    I have over £1000 credit. I pay £135 a month which should now be reduced according to my usage data, but they are hardly likely to do that.
    I checked my bill and everything was ok a couple of weeks back, but I noted that my bill was just over £400 which is way less than last year because of a major energy saving drive.
    I go back on there this week and my bill has disappeared and my next one is due in October, a full year after my last one.
    I have now saved all my data from their website and am going on the warpath.
    They shouldn't get away with this kind of mismanagement of customers money. I will get rid of them as soon as I don't have to pay any fees and will never go back with them :mad:

Good luck with that. I followed the advice on this thread and made the switch to another company, thus hopefully forcing nPower into providing a bill and refunding me any credit due.
    I have found that "going on the warpath" with Npower makes not the blindest bit of difference. They do not care about their Customer Service and that is that.
    Just make the switch (if allowed at the moment) and move on to another company.
    PS I feel your pain ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport