Soot from woodburner

Options
Had a woodburner fitted in November last year and have decorator in at the moment.

He's told me today that all walls, skirting and ceiling in the room is covered with a fine black soon.

Other houses he had painted with woodburners in haven't been like this.

What could be the cause?

One thing ī wondered in the winter was the amount of wind seeming to be coming down the chimney, but ī don't really know what is a normal level.

Comments

• muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could well be soot, you will nearly always get a whiff of smoke coming out the stove when you restoke the fire, then again it could be dust, the room we have our stove in is always much more dusty than the other room where we only have an open fire.

If there is soot in there then I suggest you get a sweep in and get it checked over.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • StevenMarks
    StevenMarks Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    The stove was fitted in late November and seems to draw very well. I never have problems lighting it.

There is never noticeable smoke coming out when the door is reopened for adding more wood (not to say it isn't happening, but isn't noticeable).

I was going to wait until I stopped lighting stove to get it swept, but may bring that forward.
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    I hadn't realised how filthy they are to use. I knew they produced dust but blimey the amount is huge! lol!!!

Every few days of using mine I run my finger on the curtain rail...OMG... In the summer I don't dust half as often.

Its a mixture of dust & some soot.
  • Chimney_Sweep_3
    Options
    the stove can convect air around it which can move any fly ash about the the room or the same if you have one of the little stove top fans but it should not be much. We have a small amount of grey fly ash appear on the top but never all around the room, Remember the stove will be drawing air into the room from outside so say for instance you live on a busy road the extra airflow could cause outside dirt/dust contaminats to enter room. Check the stove top seals to flue pipe with a match or candle when appliance is lit if they are poor soot may be blown out when in use or not inuse by wind down chimney, also check the register plate seal if its poor old soot can be falling where the liner (if fitted) is heating the old chimney drying it out and causing it to fall.
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    pinkmami wrote: »
    I hadn't realised how filthy they are to use. I knew they produced dust but blimey the amount is huge! lol!!!

Every few days of using mine I run my finger on the curtain rail...OMG... In the summer I don't dust half as often.

Its a mixture of dust & some soot.

Ive lived with woodburners for at least 20 odd years , yes they are nice and warm, but yes also they are alot dirtier than an open fire ........

Ive got an open fire now and its set well back into the recess so when I clean it out , usually about once every 10 days the ash dust goes up the chimney when cleaning the pan out and not in the room , plus I get very little dust on the mantle piece........
    I may lose some heat by having a open fire , but I only have my fire alight at the evenings in winter , and it heats the room nicely, plus I get good vision cos I dont have glass doors that keep going black...LOL...:D ha ha ...
  • Greenfires
    Greenfires Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Have to say that we don't notice any excessive dust from our stove at all. And certainly less than from the open fire.

A decent stove burning decent fuel doesn't get black glass by the way.
  • StevenMarks
    Options
    I do have an ecofan on top of the stove.

There is no sign of anything on top of stove from register plate, but I will check for drafts or anything next time stove is lit.

I am in rural Northumberland so not much air pollution from roads nearby :)
  • Chimney_Sweep_3
    Options
    OK sounds like you are having some down draught problems can allow soot out of the air vents when the wind comes down the flue, a cowl may help but most likley its an air vent/open window or trees/roof around the top of the stack causing high pressure.
  • StevenMarks
    Options
    There was an air vent with sheet of card taped over in same room (vent now properly blocked off as not needed; 4.8kW stove). No open windows.

No trees near house and chimney rises a fair way above roof.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2014 at 5:03AM
    Options
    Get a chimney sweep in and get flue checked.

Having a naturally burning fire in a room, is totally different than having a gas fire fitted. You will end up with more dust.

It is something that people forget about when they decide on these stoves, it is not a fault of the appliance normally, it just happens, get used to dusting more often. Not having a go at you OP, but people in general. They buy these things and expect it to be perfect. They are not being reasonable in their expectations. It si just a metal box that you set some wood on fire in, in the middle of your room. It is not rocket science, it will create dust. Nothing you can do about it.

I live in a big old Victorian property with a cellar. I have to dust more often than a person, who lives in a brand new semi. It is just life, get on with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure