🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Stocks & Shares ISAs

Options

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,538 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nardge wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any cashback links for opening the same?

Does anyone have a referral they'd like me to use for an agreement made by Private Message?
    You'd need to head to the referrer's board for that. Don't let the referral tail wag the dog - choose a suitable investment platform and funds, then see if anything is available. Don't forget the cashback websites.
    Stocks and Shares:
    • Unless one has a vast amount of money non-ISA S&S is the preferable option?

• Switching non-ISA to ISA is only possible via Cash ISA (with attendant financial expense)?
      This would arise if/when I felt the latter was more favourable

• There is little point/no benefit in having several S&S ISA open concurrently (contrast P2P (Peer-to-Peer) ISAs)?

• It is possible to funnel P2P ISAs directly (from Holding Accounts) into S&S ISA?

Thanking you in advance

With Kind Regards
    If you don't like working out capital gains and dividends, then an ISA is worthwhile even for smaller amounts. Smaller amounts tend to become larger amounts over time anyway.

There is FSCS protection for investment platforms, and if being pragmatic you could probably safely hold at least 3x the FSCS limit in one platform without being too concerned.

IF ISAs can be transferred into S&S ISAs. In practice you would need to either sell all of your P2P loans and transfer as if it was a cash ISA, or do an intermediate partial transfer to a cash ISA to ensure the transfer was free of problems.
  • Nardge
    Nardge Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2019 at 7:26PM
    Options
    AnotherJoe

Vanguard
    • Spare time in the sense that I will not be sitting down to make a careful and detailed analysis as might a DIY Investor. I'm unsure as to the context in which you mention 'Global Tracker Funds'? These are an option within 'Vanguard' too?

• Your point about '25%... 6%...? UK Holding' within the context of diversity. Are we saying that Vanguard have 25% 'UK' invested (including multinationals), and 75% invested in foreign markets; whilst other similar platforms keep to a smaller ratio?

Stocks and Shares
    • I thought non-ISA might be preferable as you could use the full £20,000 ISA allowance more productively elsewhere if one's funds were to be so small as to not invite CGT and Divident Tax? I see your point about it requiring much less adminstration though.

• Switching a non-ISA S&S to an ISA S&S, though ColdIron has answered that below.

• The 'Holding Account' is where money pools after disinvestment from P2P loans...
      I was curious to know if this can then be transferred directly into a S&S ISA?

ColdIron

Stocks and Shares
    • I thought non-ISA might be preferable as you could use the full £20,000 ISA allowance more productively elsewhere were one's funds to be so small as to not invite CGT and Divident Tax? Anyhow, you have both confirmed the above and outlined another second strong counterargument.

Everyone
    That just leaves the question of whether once can funnel P2P ISAs (from their Holding Accounts) directly into S&S ISA?

With Kind Regards

• Nardge
    edited 13 March 2019 at 7:47PM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    You'd need to head to the referrer's board for that. Don't let the referral tail wag the dog - choose a suitable investment platform and funds, then see if anything is available. Don't forget the cashback websites.

If you don't like working out capital gains and dividends, then an ISA is worthwhile even for smaller amounts. Smaller amounts tend to become larger amounts over time anyway.

There is FSCS protection for investment platforms, and if being pragmatic you could probably safely hold at least 3x the FSCS limit in one platform without being too concerned.

IF ISAs can be transferred into S&S ISAs. In practice you would need to either sell all of your P2P loans and transfer as if it was a cash ISA, or do an intermediate partial transfer to a cash ISA to ensure the transfer was free of problems.

Thanks again Masonic :)

I remain fairly focused on Vanguard, so that choice is largely made! My aim today was to see if having been overwhelmed by the wealth of threads, I was missing anything prior to tomorrow's Vanguard investment. It is 'thanks' to you I opened a GIA (not ISA) with Nutmeg (given my interpretation of your guidance), meaning I now have my ISA free for a far more worthwhile long-term Vanguard journey!

I had looked for a 'Vanguard Referral Thread' but couldn't find one, hence my 'nudge' on that here.

Thanks also for addressing the outstanding queries!

With Kind Regards
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AnotherJoe

Vanguard
    • Spare time in the sense that I will not be sitting down to make a careful and detailed analysis as might a DIY Investor. I'm unsure as to the context in which you mention 'Global Tracker Funds'? These are an option within 'Vanguard' too?

VLS is a global tracker fund. There are many others. Most without the artificial U.K. 25%
    • Your point about '25%... 6%...? UK Holding' within the context of diversity. Are we saying that Vanguard have 25% 'UK' invested (including multinationals), and 75% invested in foreign markets; whilst other similar platforms keep to a smaller ratio?
      Exactly so. This ends up with an over concentration in a few sectors because the top shares in the U.K. which is what you end up with when you select Vanguard are overconcentrated.
    Stocks and Shares
    • I thought non-ISA might be preferable as you could use the full £20,000 ISA allowance more productively elsewhere if one's funds were to be so small as to not invite CGT and Divident Tax? I see your point about it requiring much less adminstration though.
      You still have to keep records file tax returns etc. Best to keep everything in an ISA if you can.

• Switching a non-ISA S&S to an ISA S&S, though ColdIron has answered that below.

• The 'Holding Account' is where money pools after disinvestment from P2P loans...
      I was curious to know if this can then be transferred directly into a S&S ISA?
    No idea. It's all trivial admin matter in any case.

ColdIron

Stocks and Shares
    • I thought non-ISA might be preferable as you could use the full £20,000 ISA allowance more productively elsewhere were one's funds to be so small as to not invite CGT and Divident Tax? Anyhow, you have both confirmed the above and outlined another second strong counterargument.

Everyone
    That just leaves the question of whether once can funnel P2P ISAs (from their Holding Accounts) directly into S&S ISA?

With Kind Regards

Comments above in red.
  • Nardge
    edited 14 March 2019 at 11:34AM
    Options
    Good Morning

Which Vanguard Life Strategy Fund are most people using? 20, 40, 60, 80, 100% Equity?

Ideally I'd like to funnel £800 into each and see how they get on whilst I continue learning...

It seems however each would need its own attendant £100 direct debit?

I'd only likely want to pay in £200 per month, split between the five...

Initially £4000 are going in (what's left of my ISA allowance 2018/19), and:

• I will not need the money in an emergency

• Losing the money whilst annoying, would not destroy me

• The aim is to invest long-term, exactly how long I don't know, possibly into retirement

• The sum may be used for e.g. funding an Independent (Private) School place, University Tuition Fees, or may never be used at all as I've yet to start a family

• I might take a relatively small amount out now and then, for whatever random reason

Since I don't want 5 x £100 direct debits, and of course, each of the five funds will charge its own 0.22% fund manager fee, what are peoples' thoughts on Equities at 60%?

With Kind Regards

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Which Vanguard Life Strategy Fund are most people using? 20, 40, 60, 80, 100% Equity?
    Hopefully the one that is the closest match to their own investment objectives and risk tolerance.
    of course, each of the five funds will charge its own 0.22% fund manager fee
    There are many reasons not to spray your money around five different versions of the same product but this isn't one of them!
  • Nardge
    edited 14 March 2019 at 12:17PM
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Hopefully the one that is the closest match to their own investment objectives and risk tolerance.

There are many reasons not to spray your money around five different versions of the same product but this isn't one of them!

Response 1 - Statement of the obvious

Response 2 - As it happens, reading through all the threads, it is something people have done and do do...

If you've nothing 'positive' or useful to contribute, why bother replying at all?

I gave an outline of my circumstances

You prefer to respond with perceived 'sarcasm' and 'hubris' rather than assisting in any way, shape, or form

I'm grateful to those people who actually try to help!

Best Wishes
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,619 Forumite
    Options

Response 2 - As it happens, reading through all the threads, it is something people have done and do do...

If you've nothing 'positive' or useful to contribute, why bother replying at all?

I gave an outline of my circumstances

You prefer to respond with perceived 'sarcasm' and 'hubris' rather than assisting in any way, shape, or form

I'm grateful to those people who actually try to help!

Best Wishes
    I don't see any need to be so huffy, I was making a serious, valid, considered and constructive point that people should make investment decisions based on their own circumstances rather than adopting some sort of groupthink approach based on votes from random strangers.

Of course it's your prerogative to disagree though, so good luck with your method....
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,165 Forumite
    Options
    But you appear not to have understood it
    Usually by those who have little knowledge of investing and specifically the differences between those products. Investing in all 5 is, frankly, bonkers

eskbanker gave you good advice, but it's your money ...
  • Nardge
    edited 14 March 2019 at 12:44PM
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I don't see any need to be so huffy, I was making a serious, valid, considered and constructive point that people should make investment decisions based on their own circumstances rather than adopting some sort of groupthink approach based on votes from random strangers.

Of course it's your prerogative to disagree though, so good luck with your method....

From my experience people have always been able to reply in a manner that does not spray arrogance on others, rather they try to distill and perceive accurately what it is the other person is getting at, asking further questions as necessary, prior to writing a reply. Some may feel you come across as arrogant, others not, and that's OK. Each to their own opinion, and objectivity is Key.

You needlessly stated the obvious, a 'noddy's guide' comment if you will, which is patronising, wasting mine and possibly your time too. No attempt was made to discuss or elaborate on the second point, it was swept off the table.

I have no prerogative, I don't know you as a person, but as mentioned, your tone lends itself to being easily misconstrued in the absence of your voice or facial expression. Other peoples' words have not had that difficulty.

Best Wishes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport