Stocks & Shares ISAs

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One of the cardinal rules of investing is diversification, i.e. spread your eggs across many baskets to minimise the risk of individual company/sector/asset/market failures, and so the most popular recommendation on here is to invest in global multi-asset funds that achieve this at a low cost to the investor.

Vanguard's LifeStrategy range put forward above is a prominent player in this space, but others are also available from the likes of HSBC (Global Strategy), L&G (Multi-Index) and BlackRock (Consensus).

Selecting the best platform on which to hold such investments is generally a secondary consideration, although Vanguard do offer a cheap platform for their own products. A guide to the costs of such brokers is at http://monevator.com/compare-the-brokers/.
  • cyrilsneer
    Options
    Thank you so much - stars, both of you. I shall look into this further. Really thank you for taking the time to give me the benefit of your knowledge. Best wishes.
  • NickFrench
    Options
    Hi

I have a quick question which i was a little unclear on from the article on the website.

I opened a Help to Buy ISA in January and have been contributing ever since, but would also like to open up a Stocks and Shares ISA.

Are you allowed to have a Help to Buy ISA and a Stocks and Shares ISA and contribute to both in the same tax year?

Thanks!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NickFrench wrote: »
    Hi

I have a quick question which i was a little unclear on from the article on the website.

I opened a Help to Buy ISA in January and have been contributing ever since, but would also like to open up a Stocks and Shares ISA.

Are you allowed to have a Help to Buy ISA and a Stocks and Shares ISA and contribute to both in the same tax year?

Thanks!
    Yes, you can pay into one ISA of each type in any given tax year, so as HTB and S&S are different types then that's OK.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NickFrench wrote: »

Yes they are different types of ISA (HTB is a Cash ISA) so that's fine provided you keep to the £20k annual total ISA contribution limit.
  • NickFrench
    Options
    Awesome, thanks both
  • Jeepers44
    Options
    Does anyone have any views on the fairly recently introduced Investec Click and Invest platform for s&s ISA?
  • Alexland
    Options
    Jeepers44 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any views on the fairly recently introduced Investec Click and Invest platform for s&s ISA?

Unless they are offering you a signup bonus then with a 0.65% management fee plus underlying fund manager charges averaging 0.75% then I don't see why you would bother. There are many better options.

Alex
  • Jeepers44
    Options
    My partner can potentially get the management fee at 0.2% per annum rather than the 0.65% which I agree is high with the underlying charges so was considering whether this makes it more worthwhile vs. other offerings in the market.
  • Alexland
    Options
    Even with that discount there is still the high fund fees bringing the total to 0.95%. For comparison you can invest in the well regarded Vanguard LifeStrategy fund series for a total of 0.37% platform and fund fees.

Alex
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure