stocking up while it's cheap, how much have you got?

Comments

• JCL
    JCL Posts: 574
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I got loads of cereal from Sainsbury's in the recent offer where it worked out at around 40p a box.

I tend to be wary of BOGOFs as the invidual price tends to be bumped up somewhat. This is the certainly the case in Iceland. Works out more like buy one and a half and get the other half free. Still worth it though if it's something I use.
    MFW 2015 #41 = £20,515/£20,515
    MFW 2014 #41 = £26,100/£25,000
    MFW 2013 #41 = £10,000/£10,000
    Original MF date = May 2036 - MF achieved on 15 June 2015
  • Don't forget to cut the face wipes in half, then you really have saved yourself some money!
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Judi wrote:
    .......including buying a pot of Creme DeLaMer which cost over £100 a small pot and was a nightmare to apply and did nothing for my skin.

I paid £100 for a Guerlain face powder at christmas and although i love it, i still feel as guilty as heck.

:eek: thud222.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• System
    System Posts: 178,074
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Allexie wrote:
    :eek: thud222.gif

I know, i know :o:o:o

My name is Judi, and i am a poor excuse of a moneysaver. :mad:
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Judi - I'm currently a lip gloss girl, so I'll swap my lipsticks for your lip glosses :D

I did watch a prog a while back, about the chemicals in your cosmetics and shampoos etc. I seem to remember ot saying that in shampoo especially, the individual chemicals are OK, but after about 2 years, they will have reacted to each other and produced some real nasties, so chuck 'em.

I do try to weed out my makeup but still can't get over the fact that it's such a waste of meney, just binning it all. A lot of the stuff I don't want was given at Xmas etc, but still...oooh, it hurts to chuck money away. Mind you, I must declutter. I bought a 7 drawer slimboy lastyear and it's mine, for all me personal stuff. I still have drawers/boxes of stuff in other cupboards though.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,814
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I do stock on things that I use on a regluar basis.

Not sure if any of you have noticed this but on most bubble bath/shampoo/ face cream etc. It now has a little picture of a pot with a lid off and 6m/12m/24m.

So you now now how long things last after them opened.

The only reason I stock up is so that I don't run out when I need something.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • System
    Community Admin
    Judi - I'm currently a lip gloss girl, so I'll swap my lipsticks for your lip glosses :D

Too late!!! I sold most of them on here. I got a little under half of what i paid for them originally - but at least i got some money back. Now if i had been extra clever, i would have taken them back and told the assistant how similar it was to last seasons range. I would have got ALL my money back!!:money: Martin would have been sooooo proud!!
  • Hi There

I always stock up on loo rolls when on special at Makros-24 rolls for £2.99 :eek: cant beat that!!

Also Nescafe instant coffee in the 1kg large tins at Macros when on special at Makros-I think normally £9.99 but this will last 8 months at least, and we drink it everyday :rolleyes:

Tetley Tea bags I buy when on special at Makros-normally a huge bag of 1500 teabags for under a tenner.

Recently bought a huge 5 litre bottle each of Trevor Sorbie Shampoo & Conditioner-costing £19.00 for both inc postage-this should last a year at least :eek: saving £££'sss

Kitchen rolls is another from Makros when on special at £2.99 for 12 rolls (good quality), this only happens 2-3 times a year but buy 3 packs each time, so it will last.

Everything else is normally bought when and if needed and at a good price!!

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Judi wrote:
    I dont very often stock up on items on offer for two reasons. The one reason is that we are always more generous with the portions/amounts we use. I have tried sooo hard to be more disciplined and i have hidden the crisps/choc bars, but be honest, i dont have that much room to store it.

The other reason is, i would prefer the extra money to stay in my bank account rather than pay up front - no matter how discounted it is.

There is an exemption to my rule though. I have about 12 months worth of Head and Shoulders sitting in my bedside drawer. I bought them discounted, and now everyone says it makes their head itch (they have been using it for years no problem up to now).:mad:

What a coincedence I can longer use Head and Shoulders either after all these years as it makes my head itch!!
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • System
    Community Admin
    What a coincedence I can longer use Head and Shoulders either after all these years as it makes my head itch!!
    Check you havent bought the volumising one. Apparently its the newest of the range, and i have just found out that volumising shampoos add silicones to the shampoo to make the hair thicker. However, silicones are really bad for your hair and leave build up which makes your hair brittle and itchy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure