Family Home

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had problems getting a council house. If so, what did you do?

billywhizz87
Debt:
£12,964 March 2013

DEBT FREE as of December 2014

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bit of a vague question

depends how high you qualify on the waiting list

what accomodation are you in at the moment , do you have any qualifying urgent needs that will bump you up the list ??

if you have considerable free cash or earn a reasonable amount then your chances are slim
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • billywhizz87
    Options
    At the moment i live with my partner in her parents house. We have 2 young children of our own plus the other members of her family that live there. Mother and 3 siblings. 8 people in total to a small 3 bedroom house.
    Debt:
    £12,964 March 2013

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    did you have to leave your last accomodation ( evicted/reposessed ? ) or always lived there ??

are either of you you in full/part time time work at all or unemployed ??
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • billywhizz87
    Options
    I moved in with her when we were expecting our first child (leaving my parent's house). We have been here for just over 5 years on the council list from the same time. I am in full time employment but she is unemployed.
    Debt:
    £12,964 March 2013

• bluebeary
    bluebeary Posts: 7,904 Forumite
    Options
    how many area lists have you got your name on, theres quite a few in glasgow
  • billywhizz87
    Options
    just the one, north lanarkshire/clyde valley
    Debt:
    £12,964 March 2013

• Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you want a council house? You say in one of your other posts that you are earning £22k, and that you've virtually cleared your debt (congratulations, and well done on that achievement :)), so wouldn't you be able to find a private rental that is suitable for the 3 of you? I know social housing rents are cheaper and secure tenancies, but they're in such short supply that the only person I know who has got one in recent years was on disability allowance and was allocated one straight from a women's refuge (ie in very great need).
  • billywhizz87
    Options
    ideally the only reason i would want a council house is for the security. I have seen to many friends and family in private lets having to move out into others. 22k is my before tax salary. and there are 4 of us. Im just looking for options that would suit my family and myself.
    Debt:
    £12,964 March 2013

• Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    Options
    ideally the only reason i would want a council house is for the security. I have seen to many friends and family in private lets having to move out into others. 22k is my before tax salary. and there are 4 of us. Im just looking for options that would suit my family and myself.

I think just about everyone in private rented feels the same, but sadly there just isn't the availability of social housing. What there is is allocated according to need and unfortunately those needs have to be considered pretty high to qualify in most areas. Could your partner find work so the pair of you could save a deposit and take advantage of the "help to buy" scheme in a couple of years? You've done really well to clear your debts, and have plans to save so clearly you've learned some good budgeting skills so maybe ownership of a modest home in a cheapish area would be within your reach soon.
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    Options
    So she was living at her Mums address and you at your Mums and thought it a good idea to bring 2 children into the world. That was well thought out. :eek:

And now you want the local tax payer to subsidize your accommodation?
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport