PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Life without a washing machine

Options

Comments

• pertgave
    Options
    The washing machine is one of the few domestic appliances like a fridge or a cooker I couldn't do without. I remember going to the launderette as a student and it is just too time consuming.

However, I live happily without a car and without television.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    UnluckyT wrote: »
    what about getting a spin dryer when your finances are a little better? .

I was lucky today. I was at my local car boot sale and saw a second hand basic spin dryer. After a bit of bargaining, I got it for £8. It seems to run well.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    I was lucky today. I was at my local car boot sale and saw a second hand basic spin dryer. After a bit of bargaining, I got it for £8. It seems to run well.

That's a bargain and should help

I'm not far from you myself so will keep an eye out in the local for sale mag
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good news about your spin dryer bargain, Mistral! I have followed this thread with interest as I would like to reduce my reliance on electrical appliances. I am very glad you found a solution for the time being.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • rosiepup2000
    rosiepup2000 Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2014 at 4:00PM
    Options
    I'm glad you've managed to get a spin dryer, Mistral, just in time for the winter, too!

I managed without a washing machine for about a year, about 20 years ago. I washed everything by hand, including sheets/duvet covers/towels. Hard work, and I wouldn't like to have to do it again, but I had a spin dryer. Small things went into buckets with the detergent and hot water and left to soak, then into the sink for rinsing, back into the bucket with fabric conditioner, drain into the sink and then into the spinner and then out on the line if it wasn't raining. Big things I just did in the sink. I used to spend practically all day each Saturday heaving wet clothing around. I don't think I could have coped without the spinner. I hope it makes things easier for you, and you find a washing machine bargain at some point.
    Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure.
    Oliver Sachs 2015
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just an update. I bought a washing machine earlier in the week. I got it for £75 on Gumtree. It seems to go well.

I can hardly believe it is 17 months since I had a working washing machine. Washing by hand with the help of a spin drier has not been a terrible hardship for me as I have only one to wash for.

Jeans were the most difficult item of clothing to wash by hand and I must admit that I did not wear jeans as much for this reason. Also, I was a little more careful about getting my clothes dirty in general. So anytime that I was doing anything which might get my clothes dirty, I would change into old clothes and back even just for five minutes. Probably a good habit to get into and I hope I do not fall out of the habit now that I have a working washing machine.
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    Really pleased for you, Mistral! And well done for coping so well for 17 months.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Teddi
    Teddi Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    For 6 months we had no washing machine but we did have a tumble dryer so, it was actually great! Our clothes never get proper dirty so a whole load was really easy. Now we have a washing machine and no dryer and in hindsight I should have stuck with just the dryer. :(
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Good for you Mistral, and thank you for the feedback.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    I can hardly believe it is 17 months since I had a working washing machine. Washing by hand with the help of a spin drier has not been a terrible hardship for me as I have only one to wash for.
    Even so, it's still a huge labour when you consider towels and bedding. Life is just to short, esp if you work.

Have read this thread with great interest having been without a machine for a few weeks over the summer (thanks to Currys, but that's another story). It's not even as if I use it that much, but it is indispensable and I'm glad I was in a position to replace it! I've been enjoying the sunshine today but have resigned myself to drying clothes indoors (a real bugbear of mine) for the next 8 months. I can't imagine doing this with hand washed items....in fact I go out of my way to avoid any garment that requires a lot of maintenance.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure