MSE News: Get up to 2.75% tax free before Saturday's ISA deadline

Options
"The tax year ends 5 April, so there are only days left for any UK over-16 to use their £5,760 tax-free cash allowance"
Read the full story:

Get up to 2.75% tax free before Saturday's ISA deadline

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sigh.

Another rather disappointing, and in parts misleading, article from MSE. What is the point of pushing cash ISAs for what seems to be nothing but the sake of it?

Not a single mention of why S&S ISAs and/or SIPPs could be superb, and logical, alternatives to cash ISAs for people who are looking at the longer term.

A mention, albeit a very dismissive and totally selective, of a lot higher interest rates in current accounts for those saving short term.

Disappointing, disappointing.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Some people don't like/want the risk of S&S ISAs and some don't want the hassle of moving money about between current accounts to qualify for the interest.

Not me though. I'm withdrawing all my cash isa savings for high interest current accounts :)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 April 2014 at 8:09PM
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    Sigh.

Another rather disappointing, and in parts misleading, article from MSE. What is the point of pushing cash ISAs for what seems to be nothing but the sake of it?

Disappointing, disappointing.

My thoughts exactly. The current standard of financial journalism is shocking so it's no wonder that the average member of the public doesn't have great knowledge about finance. A real shame that MSE can't be bothered to actually give some decent advice especially when this forum contains so much they could actually glean from!
    SG27 wrote: »
    Some people don't like/want the risk of S&S ISAs and some don't want the hassle of moving money about between current accounts to qualify for the interest.

That's entirely their right.

However this is meant to be a Money Saving site and repeatedly plugging articles that give them false impression that cash ISAs are the best thing to use for savings do not help.

Even the link to S&S ISAs in that article doesn't actually take you to info about them!

If you have under £2500 as savings an ISA is totally pointless. If you have under £10,000 I'd say the same. If ISA rates rise next year you can still put that money into a cash ISA if you want but in the meantime you get far better interest.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

This latest article as well as other information on the main site don't equip anyone with enough information to make an informed decision about their options - S&S ISAs, cash ISAs, current accounts, SIPPs, company pensions etc.

MSE is letting their readership down quite badly with articles like this. Other frightful information on MSE includes vastly outdated recommendations about discount brokers. That article should have been updated, or pulled, ages ago, and the recommendations in this SIPP article are not much better.
    Not me though. I'm withdrawing all my cash isa savings for high interest current accounts
    Sounds like you have informed yourself comprehensively and you aren't following the mantra of "it's almost April 6 so I must use up my cash ISA allowance quick". Well done you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure