Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

New PC - weird display probs..

in Techie Stuff
7 replies 587 views
Only got this PC (Aldi) out of the box a couple of days ago. It's my first XP machine to I may have missed something obvious but.....
Each window that I open morphs from side to side because the Favorites list keeps displaying on and then off as I move the mouse around - the result is it's very difficult to click on anything.
I tried removing Favorites from the Toolbar but it makes no difference.
I am using the wireless mouse and keyboard supplied - could this be some kind of interference problem?
I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Replies

• VirginieVirginie Forumite
    13 Posts
    Are you speaking of the Favorite list of ie, or another one?
  • Try to Reinstall XP over the top of your current version

Or i think you can choose repair if you put the XP disk in

Make sure u put the disk in before rebooting so that the XP disk will start from the beggining

This mite help if not try phoning customer service if ligit XP disk DONT IF NOT

Rgd
    No Man Or Woman Is Worth My Tears And The One Who Is Will Never See Me Cry

:rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

A man with morals
  • barginunterbarginunter Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Re: "Are you speaking of the Favorite list of ie, or another one?"

Yes it is the IE one. I spoke to Medion who said it must be spyware - I've already scanned load of times with Ad-aware and Spybot. I've just scanned again with EZ something or other which came with the PC.
    Re-installing XP seems a bit extreme.
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Ambassador
    Forumite
    Have you got a firewall fitted such as Zone Allarm or Norton?

I don't know about Norton but Zone Alarm have a free trial availble from this site

When your firewall is working, reboot in safe mode, and run your ad-aware etc in safe mode.

Delete your previously saved Restore Points so you don't bring the nasties back.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Just a random thought, but any possibility it could be a sticky key problem. Sounds similar to a problem I had when I sat on my keyboard. Mouse went doolally, and I couldn't access IE to google the problem. Took about an hour and a half to find my way to right help section to turn on/off sticky keys, but seemed to do the trick.
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
  • barginunterbarginunter Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Thanks for that Squeaky - I'm just going thru the process of installing loads of virus checkers and Zone Alarm so when I find out how to boot up in safe mode, I'll give it a go.
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Ambassador
    Forumite
    Thanks for that Squeaky - I'm just going thru the process of installing loads of virus checkers and Zone Alarm so when I find out how to boot up in safe mode, I'll give it a go.

Do a stop and tell your computer to Restart.

As soon as your screen goes black start tapping the F8 quite quickly.

This because they don't give you long to catch the right moment.

You'll see one of two pages. Hit F8 again if you don't see a list of starting options - one of which will be restart in Safe Mode.

The computer then only loads the basic windows programs and no other third party programs - such as viruses.

Run your clean ups to make sure nothing's hiding.

Ok?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals