Delivery men damaged wooden floor

Options
Achoo
Achoo Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 1 April 2014 at 2:10PM in Consumer rights
Could somebody please give me advice to my options please....

Delivery guys from a bed company scratched my bamboo floor in 2 places while delivering a bed .
I contacted the company and they sent two independent people out to assess the damage to see if it could be repaired . Both of these guys told me that the scratches could not be repaired and that the whole lot would probably need reflooring due to the wood coming in different shades and batch numbers . And I have this flooring throughout the ground floor.
The cost of the wood is £26sq/m and then fitting charges extra , the room is approx 21 square/metres..
I suggested that as a compromise I would consider compensation in the cost of getting a carpet with a similar price per sq/m for that room. I gave them a quote from a company for £850 inclusive of fitting / underlay.
I have told them that I don't wish to put the carpet in at the moment as my daughter is only 1 and also the fact that the kitchen will be having a full refurbishment in the next couple of months.

They have agreed to pay the carpet company the £850 if I get the work done OR they said if I don't want the carpet fitted in yet they will offer me half (£425) direct as compensation.

Should I accept this £425 or should I demand payment for the full £850 (bearing in mind that if I asked them to repair/replace the floor it would be around £1500 with labour)

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Just decline their £425 offer and demand the £850. Otherwise you'll demand the replacement floor at circa £1500 plus fitting. :)
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not let them pay the carpet company?
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Achoo
    Options
    I don't really want a carpet fitted .. I just got a quote of a company and took it to them and suggested they a least compensate me with the cost of fitting a decent carpet in , which would save them money if they had to get my floor repaired or replaced. It was my idea Of a compromise
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It was my idea Of a compromise
    And now its backfired because they have agreed to pay the carpet company for laying one that you don't want.

I don't think that will look good if you end up taking the legal route
  • Achoo
    Options
    when I found out that the scratches couldnt be repaired I thought it was a bit extreme to get the full floor replaced and I was worried in case the shade didn't match the wood in the adjoining rooms.
    I suggested to the shop manager that replacing it with a similar priced carpet might be an option , and I got a quote from a carpet shop nearby to give him an idea of the cost , and also told him that I have no intention of laying down a carpet yet as there is some major work to be done in the kitchen.
    He has put it forward to his insurance company who he has said are willing to pay the money in the quote to the carpet company or offer me half the said quote in cash if I do not wish to install the carpet yet .
    I just think they are pulling a fast one knowing that I dont intend to fit a carpet .
    Obviously if the damage was done by a family member , we wouldn't replace the floor , but due to the fact it has been done by a company I just want to know what is the right thin to do ..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've had a big dent in my (expensive) laminate flooring repaired by a firm supplied by british gas (they made the big dent in the first place). They can fix almost any surface by painting it the right colour (basically).

I'd look into a repair a bit further. These were the people that did it for us http://www.magicman.co.uk/

It's a lot cheaper than replacing the flooring
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    Achoo wrote: »
    when I found out that the scratches couldnt be repaired I thought it was a bit extreme to get the full floor replaced and I was worried in case the shade didn't match the wood in the adjoining rooms.
    I suggested to the shop manager that replacing it with a similar priced carpet might be an option , and I got a quote from a carpet shop nearby to give him an idea of the cost , and also told him that I have no intention of laying down a carpet yet as there is some major work to be done in the kitchen.
    He has put it forward to his insurance company who he has said are willing to pay the money in the quote to the carpet company or offer me half the said quote in cash if I do not wish to install the carpet yet .
    I just think they are pulling a fast one knowing that I dont intend to fit a carpet .
    Obviously if the damage was done by a family member , we wouldn't replace the floor , but due to the fact it has been done by a company I just want to know what is the right thin to do ..

It seems like the whole matter has got confused by getting quotes for a carpet that you never intended to get. I doubt that the insurers will accept a change in demands if this is what you asked for originally.
  • Achoo
    Options
    I just wanted to know am I in my rights to demand the full £850 payment direct to me instead of the carpet company ?
    Or is that common practice for the company to offer 50% less, if I choose not to have the carpet installed yet ? And should I accept the £425 ?
    My daughter is 1 year old and I have seen how easy it is to clean the mess up she makes on a wood floor. I don't want to have a carpet till she is a few years older .
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    And now its backfired because they have agreed to pay the carpet company for laying one that you don't want.

I don't think that will look good if you end up taking the legal route

No, a cash in lieu of repairs settlement is a perfectly legitimate compromise.

OP, I would hold out for the £800. It is after all only half the cost of replacing the wooden floor.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How big are the scratches? I'd take the £425 then stick a rug over the scratch.

Also, how old is the floor?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure