help please with Universal Wealth preservation Trust

Options

Comments

• roger22t
    Options
    WARNING – BE VERY WARY OF HAVING ANY DEALINGS WITH UNIVERSAL WEALTH PRESRVATION!

I had the misfortune to sign up for one of their products which would have involved my house being put into a Trust upon my death.
    On reading through the proposals I was extremely concerned regarding who the Trustees were going to be as it appeared that the Trustees would be the Directors of Universal Wealth Preservation. People that I had no knowledge of or any idea if they were trustworthy and suitable as Trustees.

Upon asking for clarification regarding this and other issues that I was not happy with, I received no response form Universal Wealth Preservation despite numerous emails.
    I requested that instead of proceeding with the Trust, I would like them to draft me 2 standard wills as our circumstances had changed. Again no response!

BEFORE SIGNING UP FOR ANY OF THE RATHER DUBIOUS SCHEMES AND PRODUCTS OFFERED BY UNIVERSAL WEALTH PRESERVATION, I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU GET LEGAL ADVICE FROM A SOLICITOR OR YOU MAY WELL END UP LOSING CONTROL OF YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET (YOUR HOUSE).

These people are quick to take your money then impossible to contact……. Steer well clear!
  • JOHN_ARNOLD
    Options
    We have had the same experience with Universal. Have £80,000 in trust with them. Have spoken to a solicitor who is writing a deed to remove Universal from the trust. However he is saying the cost for court proceedings are prohibitive with no certainty of a good result. Your idea of Class Action could be a better way forward. Is there any way to start putting the numerous people together?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Class action suits are not possible in the UK. All cases, especially in a situation like this (removing a trustee against their will) have to be taken to court separately. However, what you can do in the UK is get the same solicitor to handle multiple very similar cases, which may reduce costs compared to multiple solicitors all reinventing the wheel.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    With all this talk about legal action (though I'm amazed that the BBC haven't followed up their earlier work on Steven Long - there must be a story in this) has anybody checked carefully the terms of any legal expenses add-ons to household insurance policies?

Usually cover up to £50k, but the T&C will vary as to what's covered.

From Facebook:
    Universal Wealth Preservation
    8 November 2013 ·
    We are celebrating this afternoon after our Managing Director, Steve Long has achieved BSc(hons) in Management With Trusts and Estates.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,632 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April 2018 at 5:17PM
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any connection between Universal and these people? http://www.inheritance-preservation.co.uk/

Interestingly the owner of that site claims to be an individual called Inheritance Preservation, I've never heard of that being a real person's name!

Name:Inheritance Preservation
    Address:Manor Farm Bungalow
    Pickhill
    Thirsk
    North Yorkshire
    YO7 4JR

But Google does show this company at that address:

NATIONWIDE ESTATE PLANNING SERVICES LTD
    Company number 08336734

It has 6 directors
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08336734/officers
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • JOHN_ARNOLD
    Options
    Further to my earlier post. We have logged our dealings with Universal to Action Fraud. The more people who subscribe to this the greater potential that they will see the need to investigate this major fraud. We would be very interested in any form of group action being planned.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,632 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some more info. It appears that the Universal website is registered to a different company than the one that appears listed on the site itself. Maybe a few of the other names listed could give some more details about the company

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05929392/persons-with-significant-control
    UNIVERSAL ASSET PROTECTION LTD
    Company number 05929392

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06825924/persons-with-significant-control
    UNIVERSAL TAX SOLUTIONS LIMITED
    Company number 06825924

Mrs Melanie Ann Long had Ownership of shares !!!8211; 75% or more
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • JOHN_ARNOLD
    Options
    Spoke to our solicitor yesterday. He thinks that 'Class Action' is a possibility but not easy to arrange. It could be worth considering a few victim appointing one solicitor to act for them with others joining the fight and sharing costs. Again not easy.
    PS. We updated our information with Anti Fraud OK to include the information shown in this forum.
    At least we are not alone in this fight for justice.
  • I have also raised a case with Action Fraud. I think we have more chance of getting their attention if we get volume - so if you haven't already done so I would urge other victims of Universal and the Longs to raise a case.
    Our solicitor has dispatched a pre court proceeding letter to the Longs as trustees - including sending copies to a number of addresses across the UK.
  • JOHN_ARNOLD
    JOHN_ARNOLD Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    We were wondering how many victims have contacted the Anti Fraud Team within the police. The more who action this line of complaint the more likely it is that action will be taken. We who write here can only be the tip of a huge iceberg. Take action or risk loosing your and our hard earnt money.
    Don't let the thief get away with it. Even if we can't get money back we would love to see them behind bars.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure