Foodbank thread - please link to any suitable bargains for bulk purchases

edited 31 March 2014 at 9:20AM in Gone Off!
29 replies 8.9K views
13»

Replies

• bylromarhabylromarha Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Just to let you know the Lindt equivalent easter bunnies are now down to 69p in Aldi. Taste great and I bought several for foodbank when I shopped yesterday as I know how apprecated these easter treats are for those who can't afford to give easter chocolate to their kids.

And bluep-if that's the way you work shopping wise, that's great. I already buy the 8 cheap tins of beans instead of the 4 tins of heinz, so I know my purchases are very good value. If you save up £50 to do a foodbank shop, can I suggest you wait until the Aldi £5 off a £40 spend vouchers come along in the newspapers (there was one on Wednesday in the Sun and the Mirror normally have one at the end of the month). Pick up as many papers for how much you are going to spend. Maybe if you're going to do 2 foodbank shops over the month, then do both using the vouchers as they only have an expiry date of a week from publication.

It's how I work it for my family food shop. Saves a fortune.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • lindsaygalaxylindsaygalaxy Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think sanitary towels/ tampons should be added. I for one would hate to have no money and have the time of the month to deal with. I will usually put a pack in the food bank box at the tills each week.
    £2 Savers club £20/£150
  • mrsHall2bmrsHall2b Forumite
    521 Posts
    richardw wrote: »

That is the website i was looking for a few weeks back but cold not remember it! so thanks :)
  • CorelliCorelli Forumite
    664 Posts
    Thanks every one who donates to foodbanks. Could I put in a plea to remember people with restricted diets for whatever reason.

Recently a friend's benefits changed when her daughter with MH issues became 18, I can't remember the ins and outs of it but she had £53 a week for food, bills, transport etc for the two of them. She is vegan and coeliac and although the food bank people were lovely there wasn't a lot there for her.

So now, I always make a point of putting in some non dairy milk and some GF pasta or biscuits or something.

VEGAN for the environment, for the animals, for health and for people

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~Albert Schweitzer
  • hilstep2000hilstep2000 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Our local Poundsavers has 1100 Typhoo tea bags for £9.99. They are one cup ones, so are stronger than most.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• LynseyLynsey Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Keep an eye out for Lidl half-price weekend offers.
    A good one when it comes along is the UHT milk. The cheap chocolate also (between 17p an 22p per 100g bar).
    The milk offer must be due soon as it's been absent for a while.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • NatMast_2NatMast_2 Forumite
    69 Posts
    At my work place we have a man that delivers bulk lots of cakes/biscuits to us each week in return for us recycling off cuts of wood to him.

I just deliver them straight to a food bank. I don't want them (the temptation to roll around in empty wrappers is too much!) and I'd like the thought of them going to a family where this would probably be of a luxury or a rare treat! I always hope it reaches them.
    Does the walker choose the path or the path the walker?

Lift heavy & squat deep.
  • LynseyLynsey Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Lynsey wrote: »
    A good one when it comes along is the UHT milk. ).......
    The milk offer must be due soon as it's been absent for a while.

Not half-price, but 12 litres of UHT semi-skimmed for £6 - so 50p per litre. From NEXT Thursday in Lidl.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you've found any freebies but thought "I don't need that" could you consider ordering it anyway and donating it to a foodbank?

Many on our Freebies board already do that with cat food!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum