Dropping to just virgin broadband

Hi all

We are a bit strapped for cash at the moment so want to get rid of our virgin media tv package and switch to freeview. We do want to keep our broadband though. Will virgin do this? Do we still need a home phone line? Does anyone know roughly how much it is for broadband alone?

Many thanks for any info.

Lisa x

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Yes they'll do that but you won't save much. You don't need the phone. If you are out of minimum term contract you should be able to negotiate a good price. BB only prices for new customers are on the website. Ignore any short term discount and aim for a few quid less than that. Do not talk to normal CS - choose the thinking ofleaving option if thatis still available or make it clear to whoever you get that you areskint and thinking of binning it all then you should be transferred to retentions who can offer the best deals.
  • That's great, thanks for your reply x
  • You can save quite a bit that way. I used to pay about 60 quid every month for broadband/tv/phone including some on demand stuff that was available there (to resist temptation is hard).

I've had only broadband with them for over a year now and I pay 22.15/month every month. No temptation to use additional services. Perfect money saver.
    My broadband is still only 20Mb but that's more than I need anyway. It used to be 10Mb and it was good too. Now they want to upgrade it to 50Mb in 2015, I'm not bothered as long as they don't increase the price by much (it's not free regardless of what they say, last time they doubled the speeds for free they did 2 price increases is short period of time ;)).
  • kwikbreaks
    It will have been the on demand and any phone package/usage that generated the saving.

With all else being equal dropping standard phone + TV + BB to BB only will only create a few quid saving because they discount the BB if you take the phone. They want people to have the phone + TV too so they will spend extra money on those services above the basic rate.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And you'll start a new minimum term.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • kwikbreaks
    VM can be a little strange - if you get a (dis)loyalty discount yes you'll have a new minimum term but you can just cancel an existing service and that doesn't impact the minimum term on the other services. Some years back when I cancelled my VM phone I asked about this specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure