Family death awkward situation (unsure on heading)

Sorry for the long post, not sure where I am going here yet.

I met my real father 2.5 years ago unfortunately after 6/7 months there was a massive row with the step sisters who he sided with. I found out second hand they were jealous and didn't like the fact there was an older child about and a son.

I get married this year, and a few weeks ago I decided to try and contact him again but to no avail, unfortunately he passed away suddenly of a heart attack on Tuesday, I found out through a friend.

My partner asked if there was anyway I could say my goodbyes, and now my two step sisters said he's not my dad there's no DNA to prove it I not welcome, there's nothing for me I'm not wanted :-(, I asked him if he wanted a test doing and he said no, there's no denying your my son, I'm unsure what to do?

There's me 36, two step sisters 32 and 30, and two half sisters 23 and 2. In a way they've hurt me so much by saying that I want to hurt them back he wasn't their biological dad he was mine and the younger twos, I know where all grieving but they won't allow me to the funeral.

What I wanted to know is can a DNA still be done now he's passed? Also I'm sure I won't be in a will if he had one but how would I find out without having to contact them? After all they cause the end of the relationship we established :-(.

Thank you

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    A DNA test can still be done if you can get a sample (after all look at Richard III)

But how are you going to get it and who is going to pay?

In practical terms I fear you need to move on.
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    would it not be easier to get a sibling DNA test with one of your half sisters?
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    A tough one.

What's on your birth certificate?
    If your father is named I think it would be for them to prove otherwise.

Funerals are usually public events, although you need to consider the impact of just turning up.

To check for an application to administer the estate
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/standing-searches
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    stef1979 wrote: »
    My partner asked if there was anyway I could say my goodbyes, and now my two step sisters said he's not my dad there's no DNA to prove it I not welcome, there's nothing for me I'm not wanted :-(, I asked him if he wanted a test doing and he said no, there's no denying your my son, I'm unsure what to do?

There's me 36, two step sisters 32 and 30, and two half sisters 23 and 2.

In a way they've hurt me so much by saying that I want to hurt them back he wasn't their biological dad he was mine and the younger twos, I know where all grieving but they won't allow me to the funeral.

What I wanted to know is can a DNA still be done now he's passed? Also I'm sure I won't be in a will if he had one but how would I find out without having to contact them? After all they cause the end of the relationship we established :-(.

You and either of the younger children could have a sibling test done to confirm parentage.

I would just say that, if you're doing this just to hurt other people, think again.

If you want to do it to confirm that he was your father for yourself and any children you have/may have and for tracing any family health issues, go with it but it could be done in a few months' time once everyone's emotions have settled down.
  • madbadrob
    madbadrob Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    With regards to whether there was a will is a difficult one to answer definitively. If the estate is one that had to go to probate you can do a search at the probate registry for £6. You can send a form in with the £6 and they will keep it on file for 6 months if none can be found. If a will exists but probate is not required then there is no chance of it appearing at the probate registry. If he died intestate then his wife would get everything but again this should appear at the probate registry

Rob
  • getmore4less
    madbadrob wrote: »
    With regards to whether there was a will is a difficult one to answer definitively. If the estate is one that had to go to probate you can do a search at the probate registry for £6. You can send a form in with the £6 and they will keep it on file for 6 months if none can be found. If a will exists but probate is not required then there is no chance of it appearing at the probate registry. If he died intestate then his wife would get everything but again this should appear at the probate registry

Rob

• madbadrob
    madbadrob Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Getmore whats the reason behind quoting me and then making bold one line of my post?

Rob
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    OP, were you adopted?
  • getmore4less
    madbadrob wrote: »
    Getmore whats the reason behind quoting me and then making bold one line of my post?

Rob

Because once again you got something wrong.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Because once again you got something wrong.

How useful is this?

Be nice :)

For future reference the rules about intestacy are here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/relationships_e/relationships_death_and_wills_e/who_can_inherit_if_there_is_no_will___the_rules_of_intestacy.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure