The work programme vs my MA

Options
So, at first I was amused. I had a letter arrive yesterday asking me to attend a meeting about the WP and how it could help me next Wednesday. I'm in the last 9 months of a vocational MA, so I couldn't commit to any kind of WP activity at the moment - my MA has been extended as I can't quite manage to keep up with the pace, despite my best efforts.

I have University commitments on Weds, Thurs and Fris, which I cannot afford to miss and so I rang up the 0845 number today to see if I could change the time and ask how pertinent the WP would be to me at this time. The guy told me that I had to attend the interview and gave me a number to ring to change the appt time. I explained that I'm on a vocational MA programme and so I was struggling to see how I would be a viable candidate at this time and he proceeded to tell me that I would find the WP valuable as it would help me get into work....*head....wall*

I've tried ringing the number given, persistently on redial, and no one has ever answered. So now I've written a letter explaining the situation and asking for a different day but due to the tight timescales I'm not convinced they'll get it in time.

It's incredibly frustrating and a prime example of how the system is not working. Where's the individualised support for disabled people trying to access work in this set up? Clearly if they'd looked at my file prior to sending the appt, they'd have realised that inviting me to the WP is a ridiculous idea, unless they have a PhD proposal writing workshop which I don't know about! I do want support with finding a job once I'm nearer to completion, as I'm petrified about how the hell I'm going to manage it as I know I'm not exactly a prime choice with my health complications :/

Grr to the stupidity of it all, I bet I get a sanction!

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2014 at 10:04PM
    Options
    ESA is to support you whilst you are not fit for work, not to support you until you finish your studies and then decide you are fit for work. If you can manage a full time vocational MA it sounds like you are ready to prepare for work, and that is what the WP is for.

Edit: A social work Masters is about as intensive as it gets. Perhaps it is time to consider if you could work for the three days a week you study. A placement is much the same thing as a proper job.
  • 925dancer
    925dancer Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, full-time students can claim ESA in certain circumstances.

http://disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/individuals/education/frequently-asked-questions-students
  • LL30
    LL30 Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but you've kind of missed the point, as PP says, I'm entitled to ESA, despite what your opinions are of that. I passed the WCA and meet the criteria for ESA, thus I receive it. I didn't suggest it was to support me through my studies, but I appreciate that you're entitled to place your own interpretation on my situation. I was more irritated by the lack of personalised help available, ESA was supposed to create a more tailored approach for disabled people, it obviously still has a long way to go.

Thank you for recognising how intensive my course is. It's my sheer determination and stubbornness which is getting me through. My disability was acquired 2 years ago and I am exploring and learning my limitations, with the support of my Uni who are able to provide me with reasonable adjustments to help me. I do hope that by the end of the course, I will have a clear idea of how I manage with my life as it is now, and thus will know what I need to ask of employers in order to enable me to work (although I'm still very nervous about this). The MA is therefore incredibly useful for me in terms of helping me to adjust to my disability and work, far more so than the WP at this moment in time. If I quit my MA, I'd be unqualified and only able to perform support roles which I find physically challenging and are woefully paid. If I get my qualification, I will hopefully be able to work part time in the right kind of role, and earn double the salary, in effect making me less state dependent. I'm sure you can appreciate that when you analyse it in those terms, quitting my MA would not be a credible option.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    I am not suggesting that you should give up studying (and am well aware that students are able to claim ESA), but rather that you should not use your study as a reason to delay returning to work if you are able to do so. Work first, study second, or support yourself through your studies if you choose not to put your energies into work?
  • LL30
    Options
    Unfortunately I am not currently in a position to work, my health precludes this at the moment, as well as my studies, it's a combination of the two not an either/or situation. It is hopeful now that I have gained the correct diagnosis that the correct treatment regime can be undertaken which may enable me to be better placed for work in the future.

The point of my gripe was the lack of an individualised approach to supporting disabled people into work. My course is actually providing me with the support I need, and putting me in a position whereby I understand my needs better, which will in turn help me when I am able to seek work. There would be little point me attending the WP at this moment, and it's this homogenised approach which I dislike. Does that make sense?

I'm confused as to why you have passed the judgment that I'm fit for work without knowing my circumstances, awfully ATOSesque of you if you don't mind me saying. I have a limited capability for work, I hate it, but I am beginning to accept it. Oh, and I only receive £15 a week ESA, it's certainly not supporting me through my studies, despite your assumption.
  • 925dancer
    925dancer Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    What group were you placed in for ESA? If support there is no obligation to attend any work related activities.

It may also be worth investigating how the groups apply when being applied to students claiming, given that full-time students can apply it would seem rather contradictory to expect them to also engage in activity with a view to moving into full-time employment. I'd be checking legislation/guidance on it.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you claim ESA and are in the WRAG then you have to commit to interviews with an advisor and any work related activity they instruct you to do, if you want to be paid.

I'm afraid your obligations to get ESA come before your studies.

When you claim benefit you can't pick and choose which rules you follow to get it.

If it was me I would have attended the interview and discussed the situation in person. Study commitments could have waited for one day.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    If you claim ESA and are in the WRAG then you have to commit to interviews with an advisor and any work related activity they instruct you to do, if you want to be paid.

I'm afraid your obligations to get ESA come before your studies.

When you claim benefit you can't pick and choose which rules you follow to get it.

If it was me I would have attended the interview and discussed the situation in person. Study commitments could have waited for one day.

I agree with this comment.

I can find nothing in the regulations which say that you are exempt from attending the interview.

Because of the vast number of people claiming ESA it is totally unrealistic to expect them to look at your claim in detail before asking you to attend. It is likely that the computer just says 'yes, time to bring .......in'.
  • LL30
    Options
    I do understand my obligations to participate in WRAG activities. When I went to my first interview, my advisor was very positive and stated that she didn't feel there was much that they could offer me and so she suggested that the next one be via telephone with her. In effect, my MA is doing their job for them, it's providing me with all the training and support I need as well as helping me to adjust to my new life. This isn't saying that I wouldn't not take up their offer of the WP, I just physically can't right now, I'm barely holding on as it is.

The interview is a royal pain in the a*se a) because I have duties to attend to on Wednesday which have legal time constraints and will form part of my assessed work, b) because I can't even get through to anyone on the phone to talk to them about this, c) the time limits set due to only receiving the letter on Thursday evening and d) because I know when I turn up to the interview, she'll say what she did last time and send me on my way. I hold a case load of service users myself, it's my job to ensure that I provide them with the appropriate service, which is no different to my advisor. And if I do make a mistake at least people can contact me to sort it out. She has handwritten her name on the letter, so she's aware it's coming my way (although I'm sure she writes her name on many things a day, and maybe she didn't realise) I'd just appreciate a phone number that was answered and more than 6 days notice for a meeting :/
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    Hi LL30, I understand your frustration. As others have said here you have to attend a wrag interview, BUT, if you have good reason (and you do) they will re-arrange the interview.

As you have been to one of these interviews before - if you know where the interview is - which benefits office, is it possible to get hold of that benefits office local number rather than other main department. Or if the office is LOCAL TO YOU, go to the office personally to explain your situation.

You can't risk losing the benefit over a technicality however frustrating it is! I went to one of these interviews before I was placed in support group and the office was less than half a mile away.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport