MSE News: Barclays to revamp current account fees – will you be better off?

Options

Comments

• sax11
    sax11 Posts: 3,250 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Fl00kUK wrote: »
    Here's a thought....don't spend money that you don't have!!!! :mad: Jeez! This isn't rocket science.

If you don't like it, change banks or stop spending what you haven't got!! Simples.

Yes it is simple

Unfortunately you don't know every individuals situation so the mantra of 'stop spending what you haven't got' isn't always possible.
  • lxworld
    lxworld Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your support folks. The petition is now on the front page of Change.org and has so far reached nearly 8,000 signatures. Let's keep up the pressure.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/barclays-bank-stop-charging-these-crippling-overdraft-fees
  • lxworld
    edited 11 May 2014 at 12:57PM
    Options
    Well over 8,391 signatures now. Thank you for your ongoing support. Want to reach the next milestone - the 10,000! If you know anyone this affects. Tell everyone you know about this petition which is on the front page of Change.org http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/barclays-bank-stop-charging-these-crippling-overdraft-fees
  • lxworld
    Options
    You can now view my correspondance with Barclays on my petition. Please continue to sign the petition. It is only weeks now before the changes are due to take effect.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/barclays-bank-stop-charging-these-crippling-overdraft-fees
  • Rux
    Rux Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    @lxworld: I'm not sure what you expect to get with that petition? If you don't like the services offered go to another bank?!

I'm affected by it too, but having researched a bit around, I don't see a good enough reason to switch banks....
  • lindelou
    lindelou Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for saying what most of us think.Yes I was a Barclays customer but after 14 years, no more as \i cannot afford the new charges.I also think these self righteous smug know it alls should just shut up
  • lindelou
    lindelou Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    P254 wrote: »
    I received my letter a couple of hours ago, and I don't think it's done my blood pressure any good - literally.

Everything went belly up for me when the recession struck, and I've been struggling (but managing - just) ever since. I don't use my Barclays accounts anymore, but do have 2 overdrafts with them which I have been very slowly working away at by paying in a little over the interest every month.

This is dreadful news for me as my payments will go up from £45 a month to £69.75 - and I can't see how I can ever pay anything off the actual debt. So will I owe Barclays till the day I die?

I'm limited in ways that I can actually raise any more money due to age and health. However, I'm trying. Let's hope things look a little better tomorrow, but today - I'm gutted.
    Hi, I can only say to you that you are not alone in your dilemma.It keeps me awake at night thinking how will i pay off my overdraft now the charges have increased. I have had to move banks reluctantly.
    my gripe is this has come at bad time for those of us trying to recover some spare cash to keep us going each month
  • lxworld
    Options
    It's a self perpetuating situation. If will be paying 75p a day at the start, how long before you will be having to borrow more and end up paying £3 a day = £90 a month = £1080 a year?

If they'd told you you'd be paying from 75p a day would you have applied for the facility?

You know what you gotta do - vote with your feet:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...overdraft-fees
  • lxworld
    Options
    Please continue to support the petition. More signatures please!

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ashok-vaswani-stop-charging-these-crippling-overdraft-fees
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    lxworld wrote: »

I read that page. It says "complaining to the Financial Ombudsman Service is the way forward".

Please don't waste FOS time with this. They can't tell a bank what to charge for their services. People with genuine complaints that do fall under the remit of the FOS just end up with delayed responses because the service is busy writing can't help letters to your crowd.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure