Simple, Slow Steps To Happiness & Mortgage Freedom

Comments

• linz
    linz Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Impressive!

Sadly we dont have that much room. We made a raised bed last year and this year we're growing courgettes, runner beans, tomatoes, chillies, onions and weve also started a little herb garden by the kitchen window with mint, rosemary, parsley, sage and thyme. There may be more veg secretly growing, I'm mot sure, partner's the one who's been planting stuff.

We also like to go foraging in the summer and last year picked loads of blackberries, cherries, elderberries and apples and made over 100 bottles of wine, some jams, crumbles, tarts etc. I got my partner The Thrifty Forager book for Christmas so were learning more about what's edible. Free food is ace :D
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • Muser1
    Muser1 Posts: 795 Forumite
    I'm always in awe of the exactness of your figures. Wish I could be so precise. It shows it all adds up. X
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 87253 April 2017
    Emergency fund 700.00
  • Linz,

Your garden sounds lovely! Your herb garden sounds fab too - something I will add to the list! Free food is definitely ace! Would you recommend that book? Well done on the wine making - it sounds fun and frugal - right up my street!. We are hoping to make some cider from the apple/pear trees some when. Do you have your own diary on here?

Muser1,

I am a major excel/budget/money nerd lol. I like to keep track of everything. My husband earns an 'average' salary and therefore I need to make sure I can s-t-r-e-t-c-h it as far as possible so I have to keep on top of it.

Feeling really happy & positive today :-)

IWAB xx
    2024 - happy, healthy, quality over quantity, buy nothing new (and 2nd hand only if NEEDED), mindful spending, nurturing myself and family, living for now.

Mortgage @ 31/12/23 £248k - too high, interest rate gone up - want this down asap!
    Debt @ 31/12/23 £16k - no interest - will clear over 5 years hopefully.
    Emergency savings £4k - been ransacked over last year - needs attention :-(
  • linz
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2757824

Heres mine. I don't keep it as up to date as I used to, tend to post with bigger updates every couple of months. Now our mortgage is just over 20k I am really noticing the difference that the odd £10 or £20 makes. When it was higher I used to pay more off each month but we are juggling things more now. There are a few jobs need doing to the house (this year the small kitchen is being updated to a vintage style) also need a new boiler so saving for that. Plus its not our forever home so we want to move at some point to somewhere a bit bigger.

I haven't read the book yet, my partner reads a few pages a night before bed. I'll have to ask him, plus he'll have to hurry up as I've seen the elderberry bushes will soon be flowering so we'll be out picking elderflowers before long for cordial :)
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • I shall have a read tonight!

A mortgage of only £20k is VERY inspiring. Have you been able to get it down quickly or have you been Op'ing smaller amounts like me?

Now we know we are keeping the house we have an initial target of completing alterations/building emergency fund back up and then we will be straight on mortgage ops. Not sure where trying for baby no 3 fits into those plans lol.

Your house plans sound great too.

Yes please do let me know about the book. My mum in law makes sparkling elderberry champagne and it is very sweet but delicious! I hope she makes some more this year!

Feeling really inspired now to focus on the little savings I can make each month - so exciting!

IWAB x
    2024 - happy, healthy, quality over quantity, buy nothing new (and 2nd hand only if NEEDED), mindful spending, nurturing myself and family, living for now.

Mortgage @ 31/12/23 £248k - too high, interest rate gone up - want this down asap!
  • linz
    Initially I overpaid £500 a month for a few years and all the little things I would save in various pots for different things. Nowadays it's the opposite as I don't have as much as I would like in savings so trying to top that up. S&S ISA is making more than the mortgage so trying to build that up whilst paying small amounts to the mortgage, eg the 2 months council tax payments for Jan/Feb, anything leftover at the end of the month from the food money, loose change etc. Theres almost £25k in the mortgage overpayment reserve, thats from just over 11 years.

Will get back to you about the foraging book but its worth a look on Amazon too. I also got one last year on there called Food For Free, its a little pocket sized one we keep in the car for if we go on trips anywhere
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • Thank you for all the tips, Linz, I feel very inspired by what you have done - let's hope I can do the same :-)
    I will definitely check our amazon too. It's my birthday in July so will make a list of some things like that for 'ideas' for my family to get me :money:

So had quite a bad night with the children last night. They have been ill for just over a week now but last night was one of the worst in terms of getting up and seeing to them lots of times.

Today my husband has taken the children out to do the food shopping and to get some bits for Mother's Day tomorrow. I actually wrote the food list for general shopping and treats for tomorrow to encourage him to stay within a reasonable amount and not go crazy.

This afternoon we are visiting a local rural college for their lambing weekend. It is a surprise for the children and I can't wait! Our first family day out this year. We are leaving just after lunch so I am hoping it will only cost the entrance fee of £20/car but I have drawn an addition £10 out just in case. Days out this year will be very infrequent due to money/time pressures so we will make the most of those we do :-)

Off now to get ready and take the dog for a walk in the sunshine *bliss*

So happy and positive right now.

Think I will carry on with the positivity and add a £2 coin to the sealed tin to start the cash savings.

IWAB x

• Morning All,

Had a lovely weekend and a rather indulgent mothers day. I am going to put away all my chocolate in the house and try and make it last the month as I have been a bit greedy these last couple of weeks and have noticed the weight creeping on.

My daughter has an ear infection which explains the rather difficult weekend we have had. It seems to be on the mend now though so I don't think it warrants a trip to the doctor.

We had a lovely trip to the lambing weekend. I felt it was very overpriced for what it was though but we all enjoyed it. The only additional spend over the £20 entrance was for an ice cream each which left £5 change. This has been put by towards a day out at the end of the month which we are hoping to do (weather permitting).

I am going to have to crack on and get the meal plan done today. We spent around £25 on treat food over the weekend, whilst this was a lovely treat our weekly budget is £40 so I need to put my sensible head back on.

Now for a day of catching up on chores, errands and getting organised!

IWAB x

• Hello everyone,

I am having one of those *blissful moments*.

My doggie and I are currently having snuggles sat in the sunshine in the back garden. I am updating this, my son is at nursery and my poorly daughter is napping in the front room. The back door is open so I will hear her if she wakes but now I am enjoying some blissful peace, quiet and fresh air!

I have had a productive morning. The last ebay item was paid for so I posted that this morning. Then I went into the bank and upgraded our joint lloyds vantage account to be new lloyds club account. This gives me a free magazine subscription and 4% interest. Instead of opening a new ISA this year I am going to upgrade my current account to a club account and keep my savings in there gaining 4% too. Should we magically increase our savings above £10k I will upgrade my husbands current account too. I am going to use the exclusive 4% regular saver to save my small amount of retirement savings.

My mortgage payment has left my account today so once that's been received by halifax I can update my figures and know what I would like to roundown to x

My sister is coming round tonight to discuss renting our house too.

Oh isn't this weather just lovely! I am just about to hang my third load of washing out :-)

IWAB x

• Morning everyone,

I have just been doing a quick bank & spread sheet update so thought I would update my progress so far.

I got paid £1.37 from topcashback. This went into baby no 3 fund.

As mentioned previously I put £2 into the sealed tin.

Other savings are:
    £6.80 Sky Refund into old account
    £19.72 Ebay sales profit
    £5.20 Interest earned.
    £31.72

I put £20 into the big plan savings and paid the other £11.72 to the mortgage.

All going well so far :-)

APRIL GOALS UPDATE-
    £190/£200 Big plan/emergency savings
    £20/£20 Carpet/wills fund COMPLETE
    £2/£20 Cash sealed tin
    £5.71/£20 Baby no 3 fund.
    Extra Goals -
    £5/£50 Save £50 for planned day out at end of month (£5 already saved from last day out).
    £11.72/£69.45 - Pay £69.45 as an OP to round down mortgage from £88868.45 to £88799.00.

I also have an informal interview/chat tomorrow morning at a local pub with regards to working some shifts waitressing/bar work. I have never worked behind the bar before so I am a bit nervous. I hope something comes of it though as I am looking for something to work around my role as a stay at home mum and this could be great!

It would give us a little extra money for fun/renovations/savings. Please keep your fingers crossed.

I am looking forward to setting up another club account in a few days time. I need to move a DD over first and then I can proceed. This will not only pay us more interest but reduce my 'other savings accounts' from 6 to just the one!

Going to visit my parents today and finally my daughter is feeling a bit better! Horray!

IWAB x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport