We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The Great 'How To Spruce Up Your Garden For Less' Hunt

13»

Comments

• Husband (who is a postman = free afternoons) gets lots of cut price plants from B&Q, as other posters have suggested, paying around 10p a plant - just look beyond the bedraggled leaves. We also get plants from Lidl - usually 99p or £1.49 for shrubs and fruit trees/bushes. Mind you, we did once buy three blueberry plants from Lidl for 99p but one turned out to be a rose !!!
  • Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    :o I remember my father always popping a plastic bag into my mothers handbag to "collect" cuttings when we went out for the day.
  • Aspal
    Aspal Posts: 122 Forumite
    Try going direct to the grower!! We run a small wholesale nursery, supplying garden centres, florists and the like, and have opened to the public for the last couple of years, charging pretty much the same as we do for wholesale (just rounded up to nearest £). Most wholesalers are happy to sell individual pots/trays/baskets to the public - money is money! We charge £6 for 11" planted hanging basket, £12 for 16" wicker hanging basket, £3 for box of bedding, shrubs/perennials are £1 for 1 litre, £2 for 2 litre pot. We also sell our plants at car boot sales.

I have seen our £4 tubs sold for £12 each, and our £6 baskets on sale at £20. Same plants, just save money and cut out the middle man.

Bear in mind too that B&Q plants are usually not the best varieties, as they tend to have smaller flowers (hard to believe sometimes, but they use varieties that should look at their best while the plants are in the box rather than in the garden!)
  • Hi

Last week I had a buy a large amount of stuff for the garden including slabs, a shed, fence posts etc. etc.

I went on-line and found the cheapest prices for all the things I wanted listed them all on a spreadsheet and printed it off. I then went to Wickes as they had the shed I wanted and presented the manager with my list and he matched all the prices of the stuff that was cheeper elsewhere.

I also managed to get £26 off the shed I wanted as I'd written a lower price for this based on information which later turned out to be incorrect but I'd forgotten to change it. They didn't check the price so I ended up getting an extra discount basically by accident.

Now all I have to do is all the heavy work to put up the shed, lay the patio, erect the fence etc and I'll have a lovely place to get wet all summer :rotfl:
    If you see someone without a smile.
    Give them yours :A

Debt free - as long as you don't count my student loan
  • computerwoman
    computerwoman Posts: 4,075 Forumite
    woolworths
    garden ornaments a bargain at £5.99
    http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50794069
    I just got these todat and they are great for the price...
    http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50794070
    can't go wrong...:Dthey stand about 3 foot high...very good value for money..

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hate to put a downer on the bird bath, but I found that when pidgeons used it, the force of them taking off, knocked them over, so you might like to stake'em in.
  • computerwoman
    islandman wrote: »
    Hate to put a downer on the bird bath, but I found that when pidgeons used it, the force of them taking off, knocked them over, so you might like to stake'em in.
    I did stake them as they come with 3 stakes each...neat...thanks:D

There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.

• computerwoman

• It's always worth popping down to your local stables and asking for manure. You may well have to collect it yourself so take appropriate stuff - black sacks, wellies, spade and newspaper to line your boot with. I'm lucky enough to live near a beach and there's usually some horsey-plother for the taking as there's a riding school nearby.

If you like garden ornaments ie bird baths, water features, benches etc, don't buy them from garden centres. If you can get to north Kent, there's a company there who make them and sell them direct, bypassing the companies who make a fortune out of these. They've got just about everything you can think of, even down to stepping stones and sundials. You can buy them at a fraction of the price you pay in the shops. Unfortunately I can't find a website for them but I've got their address and tel no: Whelans: garden ornament manufacturers, largest in Europe. Open 7 days a week 9 a.m. to 6 p.m: Whelans, 52 High Street, Bluetown, Sheerness, Kent. Telephone 01795 663879.

I just found a clip on youtube that shows you a small selection of their merchandise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZD2hg8TIw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure