We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The Great 'How To Spruce Up Your Garden For Less' Hunt

Comments

• judosteffer
    judosteffer Posts: 149 Forumite
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_index.shtml

In case people have never taken cuttings before and want to know how
  • wurzelsar
    wurzelsar Posts: 15,316 Forumite
    I would recommend plant fairs as well.

I have had much of my plant stock from these.

They have good sized plants, equally as good if not better than the large garden centres and for a fraction of the price.

And you get the chance to ask for advice from the growers/nurserymen directly.

Our local botannical gardens hold a plant fair every saturday throughout the summer and also rare plant fairs.
    I wish you......
    A sunbeam to warm you,
    A moonbeam to charm you,
    A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.
  • SuzySF
    SuzySF Posts: 118 Forumite
    echo the comments on asking neighbours - I have lots of gardening ones and most of my garden stock has come from them - on even takes cuttings for me and gets them started - great chap :) I also trawl the local DIY stores for cut price plants ..
    if you want info on how to look after them thry the BBC website - gardening they have a search engine that throws up pretty much any plant - and you dont have to have its proper latin/botanical name :)

happy gardening
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I used up sample pots of paint and painted my plain terracotta pots. They look fab! I painted them a light colour them used a sponge to dab a darker colour as a border.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Our B&Q at Festival Park are selling most of there plant 1/2 or less price so even if you dont get a lot of joy from them this year next year you could have a very nice garden without having to buy more plants

x
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • Uniscots97
    Try the pound shops too (I love Poundland), I got a packet of seeds for 6 different plants for a pound. Got about 30 plants in total from it. They also do rose bushes and fruit trees. Just as good as the garden centres.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • pollyskettle
    pollyskettle Posts: 2,163 Forumite
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    I used up sample pots of paint and painted my plain terracotta pots. They look fab! I painted them a light colour them used a sponge to dab a darker colour as a border.

I haven't tried that, but I will! I usually paint them with yoghurt to make them old real quick!
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • This is a great site where you can swap your excess plants (ie when they spread or self seed you can split them).

It is very reasonable at 20p a swap (I have filled my garden with some really great plants and with plants I grew from seed from there). You register for free which also gives you access to a message board to ask gardening questions.

Unlike Ebay, it is free to upload the photos of your plants. All you do is 'top up' your account (like a mobile) with £5 and it is converted into 25 swaps (you could only buy 1 plant from a garden centre for that!!!!). Your account is then reduced by 1 swap (credit) everytime you swap something. You could also make a bit of money by selling some of your excess plants.

It is a really fun and cheap way to fill your garden. :j

threadbanner.gif
  • Uniscots97
    If you've got little ones or pets about you don't necessarily want to be using weedkiller. Boiling water or the water you've cooked potatoes in kills weeds. Great for keeping your paths clear.
  • sillymoo_2
    sillymoo_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    If you can, visit a local National Garden Scheme open day...they only cost a couple of quid to visit someones own garden and get some great ideas, and the owners are usually very knowledgable amateur gardeners who help you out with names, planting tips etc.....most also usually have a sale of plants that they've divided or had excess seedlings left over, and these can be VERY cheap...I got some beautiful rare grasses, mature, for 50p each....I was also cheeky and as they had loads of a particular plant that I liked growing in there garden I asked if I could have a cutting and the owner dug up and gave me a whole plant...for FREE.....they look sooo much better when they art free.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure