UK Deed Poll Office

Options

Comments

• PintAndAPie
    PintAndAPie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    kirstle99 wrote: »
    So do I just need to print out this form and get it witnessed and that's it I can change my name?

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/loc021-eng.pdf

You don't even need to do that. In this country if you are an adult you have the right to call yourself, and to be called, whatever you choose. When you sign the deed poll document you are simply stating that x is your new name and that you will not be using your old name anymore. Obviously certain organisations and government departments will need to see this for their own security which is why they will ask you for a copy. There is no central database of deed poll documents. There is no official form or government department that issues them or stores them. There are certain chartered professions that have to officially register a change of name as their accreditation is linked to their name but for everyone else it's a diy job.
  • tracey29
    Options
    I'm about to buy a property and have been told, by a solicitor, that they won't be able to put the house in the name I want to change to - it will all need to be in my current name unless I go via the official route and have my name registered by the courts.

Is this right?
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I would never trust any website ending with co.uk that pretends to deal with governmental matters.

There are lots of quasi governmental offices that dont use gov.uk domains. Financial Conduct Authority uses org.uk, Bank of England uses co.uk etc

I agree with others however that on this case there is no need to pay an organisation to do a name change
  • cheeswright
    cheeswright Posts: 433 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 November 2014 at 4:38PM
    Options
    tracey29 wrote: »
    I'm about to buy a property and have been told, by a solicitor, that they won't be able to put the house in the name I want to change to - it will all need to be in my current name unless I go via the official route and have my name registered by the courts.

Is this right?
    no
    this is not right at all
    there is no "official route"
    "the courts" will not register your name change.

The places that give you a stamped piece of paper such as the website above are simply stamping a piece of paper which says
    I promise not to use my old name (written out in full) signed as ( old signature)
    currently of
    (where you live)
    and I will only in future be known as (new name written out in full) signed as ( new signature)
    on this date of (whatever date it is)
    witnessed by ( signature of someone passing in the street) ( full name of same person)

and you will still have to do all the signing and dating yourself...because they cant do that..because that’s the legal bit...so you still have to do it yourself ( did I say you still have to do all the legal bit yourself...oh go on then ...one more time)

the basics outlined above are acceptable to the passport office..and thats about as legal as it gets

If you wish to get this stamped by a company to make it seem more official to you then off you go...but you might as well make yourself a stamp out of a potato..it would be just as valid and somewhat cheaper:rotfl:
    Fight Back - Be Happy
  • tracey29
    tracey29 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    no
    this is not right at all

The places that give you a stamped piece of paper such as the website above are simply stamping a piece of paper which says
    I promise not to use my old name (written out in full) signed as ( old signature)
    currently of
    (where you live)
    and I will only in future be known as (new name written out in full) signed as ( new signature)
    on this date of (whatever date it is)
    witnessed by ( signature of someone passing in the street) ( full name of same person)

and you will still have to do all the signing and dating yourself...because they cant do that..because that’s the legal bit...so you still have to do it yourself

the basics outlined above are acceptable to the passport office..and thats about as legal as it gets

If you wish to get this stamped by a company to make it seem more official to you then off you go...but you might as well make yourself a stamp out of a potato..it would be just as valid and somewhat cheaper:rotfl:

Thank you! I've just told the solicitor that I don't need to do that and I'll wait for her to come back to me. Watch this space.....
  • busiscoming2
    Options
    It's easy enough to do yourself. Don't forget the letter of consent from the other parent too.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    I've used that site twice, it's quick, cheap and efficient and the document provided has been accepted for all purposes including banks, HMRC, the Passport Office, DVLA, mortgage and utility bills.
  • fredtheguava
    Options
    I used the alternative wording available here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deed_of_change_of_name), printed it onto some heavy paper from Staples, and got it signed by two of my closest friends - who were delighted to be asked! My passport came back with new name in 5 days. Nowhere has had any problem in accepting my name change, and I didn't pay anyone £15 for the privilege of a bit of copy-and-paste and some printing.

There's no need to pay. None at all! Once you sign and your witnesses sign, that's it: your name is changed.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    no
    this is not right at all

Oh yes there is!

You can put your new name on public record by ‘enrolling’ it at the Royal Courts of Justice.
    https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll

It costs £102.60.
  • tracey29
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    Oh yes there is!

You can put your new name on public record by ‘enrolling’ it at the Royal Courts of Justice.
    https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll

It costs £102.60.

This is what's confusing me. Some people say one thing and others say something different.

I'm going to try the DIY method, update my passport and driving licence and see what happens.

A couple of people have said I need to get permission from the other parent - does this mean my ex in-laws?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure