Stopping flight - stopping with bags at stopover point?

Options
If I booked Amsterdam to Capetown via Heathrow could I check my return flight bags only as far as Heathrow and then get off at Heathrow?

In reality the return is listed as a LHR -LGW link. Obviously just not boarding the onward sector in London would be easy but I wouldn't want the bags to end up all on there own in Amsterdam.

Thanks
I think....

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you book flights with a LHR-LGW link, you'd have your bags with you for this.

Missing legs in flight itineraries is technically fare abuse and many airlines have computer software to detect this, but if you are only going to do it once, they might not penalise you.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,026 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    If you book flights with a LHR-LGW link, you'd have your bags with you for this.

Missing legs in flight itineraries is technically fare abuse and many airlines have computer software to detect this, but if you are only going to do it once, they might not penalise you.

Thanks

What could they try and do for 'fare abuse'? Not suprisingly it is 1300 per person cheaper to fly starting in AMS than starting in LON so add on an EY flight to AMS and the 5 of us would still be more than a little quids in....yes we could return via AMS but it seem unnecessary if we can offload in London.
    I think....
  • richardw
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    .....What could they try and do for 'fare abuse'?......

Charge your credit card? Perhaps read the airline's small print before booking. Also google to read what airlines have done to fare abusers.

What would you do if your flight to AMS is delayed or cancelled?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,026 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Charge your credit card? Perhaps read the airline's small print before booking. Also google to read what airlines have done to fare abusers.

What would you do if your flight to AMS is delayed or cancelled?

Isn't the latter what travel insurance for?
    I think....
  • richardw
    Options
    Isn't the latter what travel insurance for?

Maybe. Worth checking the TI small print to double check.
  • alwaysskint96
    Options
    Thanks

What could they try and do for 'fare abuse'? Not suprisingly it is 1300 per person cheaper to fly starting in AMS than starting in LON so add on an EY flight to AMS and the 5 of us would still be more than a little quids in....yes we could return via AMS but it seem unnecessary if we can offload in London.

Hm like to see how they could "prove" that you didnt unintentionally miss the last sector-= esp changing airports
  • richardw
    Options
    Hm like to see how they could "prove" that you didnt unintentionally miss the last sector-= esp changing airports

You don't turn up at all to be put on the next flight.
  • signol
    signol Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    Your best bet would be to fly the final leg, then return on another flight. Spend c. £50 on this one way but save the full £1300.

signol
  • alwaysskint96
    Options

That can happen for all sorts of reasons. Never heard of anyone being stuck in traffic, taken ill etc and missing flight? If that was thecase then everyone who missed a flight- particularly a return one would be penalised- in reality it extremely unlikely to happen, esp as this would be a one off
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 16 March 2014 at 1:01AM
    Options

Happens a lot - a lot of people assume they've lost the flight and go get a coach or whatever instead on these short legs.

The reality is for a one off no-one in revenue protection is going to care. I've done it -and would do it again without hesitation....but I wouldn't make a habit of it on a regular basis. I also however would not mention what I was doing in the hearing of any airline staff enroute.

I'd also point out it would only work if it was the final leg of the journey-skip any other sector and the rest of the trip will automatically be cancelled.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family