AMS - Schipol Quandry

Options
Usually I'm on a pass through ticket to connect to my long haul flight, but we've got family in Abu Dhabi who've booked us some ID50 tickets (nice seats :D) from AMS (Schipol) to Abu Dhabi.

Thing is, we need to get to AMS, the Abu Dhabi flight leaves at 10pm, and we need to get in on an alternative carrier - so the flight we've got arrives into AMS at 19:40 (the last two nights its arrived up to 20 mins late into AMS)

This gives us 2hrs - 2hrs 20 mins to get off the intra EU, collect bags and bag drop for the Abu Dhabi flight.

Is this doable? I mean I've done 40 minute connections through AMS, but always where the bags were checked through - I know the rep that AMS has - just can't make up my mind if we'll make it. Someone reassure me, please! lol! :D

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With through ticketing - yes, without - riskyish.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    With through ticketing - yes, without - riskyish.

It isn't through ticketed - completely separate - Online check in for both though, so simply just a bag drop...

I either face a 7hr wait or go for this flight option and I put my faith in KLM!
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    Who are the carrier for AMS to AUH?

If you can fly to AMS with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines or flyBe, and flutter your eyelashes very sweetly, they may be able to check your luggage straight onto your next flight, as they both have baggage agreements with Etihad.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 March 2014 at 11:11PM
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    ......so simply just a bag drop...

Not simple if the bag drop queue is long, perhaps call them and find out about their queue levels at your arrival time.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AMS is a large but efficient airport, so you will probably make it. Personally, however, I would choose the seven hour stopover. That would give you time to take a train into town and experience a little of the city centre: a great start to your holiday.
  • joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AMS is a large but efficient airport, so you will probably make it. Personally, however, I would choose the seven hour stopover. That would give you time to take a train into town and experience a little of the city centre: a great start to your holiday.

Go early relax at Schipol
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    OP
    you know that no one can tell you what you want to hear, so why not take away the stress and go for the 7 hour option. You could wander round the delights of Amsterdam or book into a yotel for few hours sleep or just

th?id=H.4840669932816448&pid=15.1&w=169&h=126&p=0
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    Doable - yes. Risky as hell - yes. If you miss your flight your ticket will be cancelled and you will have to buy a new one at walk-up price.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Options
    Well its as KLM flight into Schipol, Etihad ID50 ticket to Abu Dhabi.

I am going to try and see if they can link the two, but need to account if they won't.

I had to go with the short stopover as unfortunately I couldn't take the whole day off work for the 7 hr stop over :(

Ah well, the ID50 can be transferred, so we'll have to see, if I miss it then I guess the first night will be in Amsterdam! Thanks all :)
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    I am going to try and see if they can link the two, but need to account if they won't.

Just so you know, linking reservation does not give protection against missed connections.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure