Stupid Car Hire Question!

Options
Hiya, It's been a while since I've booked car hire, it used to be book the car, then buy the excess insurance elsewhere (all fine). However, looking for cars in Malaga, I see many of them offer zero excess CDW.

Now, here's the stupid question - does this mean I don't need the excess insurance? Ive read the T&Cs and I'm still no clear. There are loads of policies offering this, usually £10-15 more than those that don't, but obviously I will save £20+ on the insurance policy (car hire is 11 days worth).

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there is a zero excess CDW then you wouldn't need an additional policy. However the CDW excess insurances you buy seperately also cover tyres, glass, undercarriage damage and other bits not usually covered by any car hire companies standard insurances
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    In Malaga, take a look at Malaga Car hire. Their all-inclusive policies mean you don't need to do anything else. Not extra insurance, no fuel costs, nothing. That means despite initially appearing more expensive, they often work out cheaper, and are certainly more hassle free.

http://www.malagacar.com/uk/car/car-hire-malaga-airport-rates.html

Just to point out, they pick you up and drop off outside the terminal, and take you to their office. That means no queuing at counters, and no negotiating confusing airport returns.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    In Malaga, take a look at Malaga Car hire. Their all-inclusive policies mean you don't need to do anything else. Not extra insurance, no fuel costs, nothing. That means despite initially appearing more expensive, they often work out cheaper, and are certainly more hassle free.

http://www.malagacar.com/uk/car/car-hire-malaga-airport-rates.html

Just to point out, they pick you up and drop off outside the terminal, and take you to their office. That means no queuing at counters, and no negotiating confusing airport returns.
    Read what's not included in their so called "no excess" insurance. Damages to tyres, rims, hubcaps, side mirrors, windows, locks and the bottom of the vehicle, interior of the car, clutch, loss of keys, filling up with the wrong fuel type.
  • sarahkmv
    sarahkmv Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all, I will check the exclusions, I certainly don't trust the zero excess to cover everything! I'll also check out Malaga car hire too.

Thanks again.
  • itsakidsworld
    Options
    I mostly use Malaga Car and as stated they are straight forward to deal with. However they ask you if you would like the excess insurance which covers windscreen, tyres, clutch and they charge you so many euros a day extra(last time for me it was 4 a day but this might change depending on the car).

If you don't want the excess insurance they take a deposit from your credit card - again in my last case £100. This is fine however note that with a UK credit card the exchange always goes against you! So calculate that against the excess charged and see the difference.

They charge half a tank of fuel and for bookings over 3 days it is "bring back empty". I have used loads of car hire companies from Malaga airport and these are still the best for my needs. I have also used Del Paso which were ok but their deposit was a waking £450 - ouch when exchanged back!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure