Discounts (or Coupon) for booking Transatlantic Flight

Options
We are looking to book a transatlantic flight with one of the scheduled airlines - possibly US Airways.

The prices seem fairly consistent regardless of who we book through - Crystal Travel, Major Travel, Netflights, Lastminute, Traveltrolley, Opodo, Expedia, etc.

I was trying to find if any of these websites (or others) have any discount codes that would help bring the price down for the flights.

We are looking for two return tickets and the total price is coming in around £940.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Book direct from US Airways. If there's an issue you can deal directly with the airline rather than having through a 3rd party. Some of the companies you mention have many complaints. Aside from Jet2 I can't recall ever seeing a discountcode for any airline.
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    Canadian Affair sometimes have them, but not at the moment.

Just one thing though - don't book with a travel agent, apart from maybe Opodo or Expedia, but even with them, only when you can't get the itinerary direct from an airline.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can get cashback through the likes of Netflights and Opodo which make them the cheapest overall, so would work out quite a bit more if I go direct.

Thanks
  • marsman802
    marsman802 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    Search this forum and it's littered with people regretting booking flights through a third party.

It isn't worth it mate...
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With 10% cashback though it is around £100 saving for booking through opodo or netflights.

Are Opodo and Netflights really that bad !??

Thanks
  • marsman802
    marsman802 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    Opodo are owned by EDreams - possibly the worst company to book through if reviews on here are anything to go by.

Also - cashback is NOT on the tax element so it's not 10% of the entire flight, only on the fare element.

e.g. a BA flight to New York might be £500rtn but the taxes are in the region of £300rtn therefore the cashback is only on the difference.

Make sure you clarify all the ins and outs of the cashback and also the website you book through.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed you should avoid Opodo at all costs but Netflights generally gets good reviews however as a general rule US Airways doesn't fly where you want to go and that means changing planes and going through immigration and customs before boarding another flight to your destination. On the domestic sector, no matter how many hours it is, all food and drink is on a pay as you go basis. Unless the saving is huge and you aren't travelling with children, I would take a direct flight for an extra £100 to save the hassle and the added hours to the journey
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    Agreed you should avoid Opodo at all costs but Netflights generally gets good reviews however as a general rule US Airways doesn't fly where you want to go and that means changing planes and going through immigration and customs before boarding another flight to your destination. On the domestic sector, no matter how many hours it is, all food and drink is on a pay as you go basis. Unless the saving is huge and you aren't travelling with children, I would take a direct flight for an extra £100 to save the hassle and the added hours to the journey

Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but I can't see where OP has stated his destination beyond "looking to book a transatlantic flight" :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't mention any destination either but the reality is US Airways arrival points in the US, Charlotte and Philadelphia, are not high of the list of airports people want to fly to from the UK
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    With 10% cashback though it is around £100 saving for booking through opodo or netflights.

Who gives you 10% cashback for a flight booking? Flight bookings are usually in the region of 1-2% cashback on sites like TopCashBack and Quidco IME.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure