Disastrous Missing Money from Post Office Currency Exchange

Options
jja.
jja. Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 7 March 2014 at 11:31AM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi. I am in quite a horrible situation at the moment, brought on by my own oversight, and I am desperately seeking any kind of help or advice.

I went into my local Post Office on Wednesday to exchange sterling for euros in preperation for my return to a Eurozone univeristy. The gentleman serving me was very friendly and chatty, initially trying to sell me travel insurance, but then just asking me about univeristy. I was in a rush as it was quarter to 5, and I needed to get to my bank before it shut, and I was clock-watching as all this was happeneing. I don't remmeber the details, and I can't recall watching him count out the euros, but when he handed them over to me in the Post Office currency exchange envelope, I took it, and put it in my inside jacket pocket.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I had travelled overnight to my destination. Bearing in mind I had my jacket on since I left the Post Office, except for a brief time at home in the UK to have dinner before leaving.

As I was putting the euro cash into two budgeting envelopes, I realised with horror that I was short. I recount, and recount, and recount, but there is no denying that I am exactly 100 euros short of what should have been in the envelope.

I should have 295 euros exactly. I have 195 exactly.

I actually felt physically sick when I relaised this. Of course, I must take responsibility for not ensuring that it was all there at the time, but I can't change that now - I had to run to the bank before my departure on Wednesday evening, and, not to shift the blame, but the gentleman serving me was so friendly that I was actually put more at ease than perhaps I normally would have been. Anyway, I rang the Post Office just as soon as I realised the error, and was eventually put through to my local branch.

I spoke to the General Mananger, and explained the situation. She at first asked (with, it must be said, a hint of disbelief) whether I had not seen the gentleman serving me count it out. I honestly can't remember what I did when he counted it out, but clearly if I did see him I wasn't paying it the attention I should have been. Anyway, eventually she went away for a while, then came back and explained that the gentleman that served me wasn't working (this phone call took place yesterday), but that she would get to the bottom of it today when he would be in and ring me back - but that the currency exchange till was actually over on Wednesday, and most likely it was indeed my missing euros. She said this needed to be confirmed, but that once it was they could arrange returning it to me. Cue absolute relief!

However, I have just recieved a voicemail message from the Post Office. The till was indeed over, but apparently not in euros! So I have been told that there is nothing to be done, and I will not be given the 100 euros.

I haven't returned the call yet - I wanted to get some advice first. I have torn apart my suitcase, I have retraced my steps a hundred times, but I know that I didn't once take that envelope out of my pocket until I arrived yetserday at my final destination, and I wore my jacket the entire journey. So unless a pick pocket managed to take out the envelope from my inside coat pocket and take excactly 100 euros but decided to leave the rest, then I must have been short changed at the post office. But if they're saying that the till wasn't over in euros, and there's nothing to be done, should I just accept that it was my fault and say goodbye to that 100 euros? I feel sick just thinking about it - there's nothing worse than losing cash. But I've never lost so much, in such circumstances.

So basically, is there anything that I can do or say to follow this up? I realise that perhaps there is a trust issue on the post offcie's behalf - maybe they think I'm just trying to get 100 euros out of them? That of course is not the case. And I've considered the possibility that it was stolen. But I just can't see how it could have been anything but the fault of a miscount, seeing as it was exactly 195 euros in the envelope when it should have been 295.

Could anyone offer me some advice on this? I feel desperate!

Comments

• the_red_baron
    Options
    was it up by roughly the sterling equivalent of e100?
  • jja.
    jja. Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    was it up by roughly the sterling equivalent of e100?

I don't know to be honest, but that's certainly a question I will ask. I haven't returned the call yet, only listened to the voicemail they left this morning. I wanted to get some advice before I rang back.

I had £250 sterling in cash to exchange, and put an extra £2.57 on my debit card to make it a round 295 euro received.
  • catokelly
    catokelly Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should ask to see cctv footage of your transaction, as they originally confirmed that they were over €100 on the day.
  • Everynamestaken
    Options
    Clear CCTV should be able to make out that difference. Even better if it was in 10's. Insist they check it.

Also, check the receipt to make sure it was indeed euros at the rate you intended it to be.

Was just currency involved, and no pre paid card?

I once worked in a bureau and someone came back saying I had gave them 120 euros short. five minutes later, someone brought back an envelope with 120 euros in, as they had found it in the car park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure